1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Time Change Equals Jet Lag, ME/CFS Style
Jody Smith marvels at how much difference one hour can make to those with ME/CFS, as much of the world has endured The Time Change in recent weeks ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pubmed article - Gluten levels tested in GF foods ... shocking results !

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by xchocoholic, May 26, 2010.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Important information ...

Pubmed Article on how gluten free grains, seeds, etc were tested and determined
    to be cross contaminated with gluten. It's shocking to see how many of these
    tested positive ... I'm using this thread at GFAB because of the additional info
    given ...

http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4593&highlight=

tc ... Marcia
  2. HopingSince88

HopingSince88 Senior Member

Maine
    It appears that 'truth' in labeling just does not exist. How frustrating this is for celiacs, or for any person with life-threatening allergies.

My sister has celiac. I have IgG for gliadin. My daughter has IgA endomesial.

It appears I will have to grow my own grain.
  3. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Hoping ...

Or you could do what I do and stick to meats, fruits and veggies ... It's pretty sad that our food source isn't safe. This report makes me a little more concerned about the supplements I've been taking too.

I found this link on how to understand gluten cross contamination ...

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_blog.php?title=Gluten: Is It OK To Have A Little Bit?&blid=13481

PS. I had a good idea that these foods were cross contaminated since I get ataxia, myoclonus, insomnia, etc from gluten but it's a relief to see that our govt is now taking an interest in this. For anyone interested ... the website www.glutenzap.com is dedicated to testing GF foods too ...
  4. xchocoholic

Florida
    For those of us who need to watch out for gluten ...

Living Gluten-Free

by Tricia Thompson, MS, RD, The Gluten-Free Dietitian Subscribe Contamination of Naturally Gluten-Free Grains

posted @5:00am ET on June 1, 2010

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_... Naturally Gluten-Free Grains &blid=19524

5. HopingSince88

HopingSince88 Senior Member

Maine
    I have been thinking about buying a grain mill and buying grains in bulk and milling them myself. Has anyone else here done this? Is it a worthwhile pursuit? I have done a good job of avoiding wheat/gluten, but I have replaced them with other grains (quinoa and millet mostly). I would love to be able to make my own millet bread/rolls from scratch (I think).
  6. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Hope,

I don't do well with grains but back when I was eating them this group was experimenting a lot with milling their own grains. This link will take you to the recipe section and you can take it from there ... enjoy ... BTW .. the Pubmed article and Tricia's article both said that some of these grains are heavily cross contaminated with gluten so they aren't good for anyone with gluten intolerance. Soy flour was the worst ... Funny thing is that when I first went gf back in 2005, everyone was so adamant that some celiacs could handle a little gluten and now they're being more realistic about it. We were called the "super sensitive" celiacs ... lol ...

http://www.glutenzap.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=445ee9eedffa3570f712e9e1b5845ea2

See more popular forum discussions.