1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Public Citizen Acts on CFSAC Problems

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by jspotila, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

I am very pleased to tell you that the non-profit Public Citizen has sent a letter to the General Counsel of HHS on my behalf regarding problems with the CFSAC. I contacted Public Citizen regarding the FACA violation I uncovered in the Committee's creation of the High Priority Recommendations list. They agreed that the process violated FACA and the Committee charter, and on February 14th they sent a letter to the General Counsel of HHS asking that he prevent such violations going forward and that he return the High Priority list to the Committee for consideration in public.
    I've blogged about the letter here: http://www.occupycfs.com/?p=743
    As of today, the High Priority list has been removed from the CFSAC website. This is the only response to the letter so far, but it's a start. I will keep you posted as to any further action/response by HHS.

BEG, CJB, Ritto and 10 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Interesting. Do keep us informed please.

jspotila likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well done, Jenny - that's great work.

jspotila likes this.
  4. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks Jenny, yes keep us posted.

jspotila likes this.
  5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Thanks so much Jennie for you dedication and hard work to see this through. I had absolutely no idea this was going on and ususally try to stay abreast of CFSAC happenings. Very surprising. I hope that this will again show them that we are deadly serious (pun intended) on expecting our government to act in our best interest.

6. K2 for Hope

K2 for Hope ALways Hoping

Jacksonville, FL 32258
    Thanks, Jenny for being so alert and responsive and thanks to the Public Citizen’s Health Research Group for asking resolution.

Jenny, would it help if we "joined" or "contacted" the Public Citizen's Health Research group and sent emails about this?

I guess we will watch this thread and you can let us know if the US government needs more emails....

Karen

jspotila likes this.
  7. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

No, I don't think emails or other outreach will be helpful right now. Public Citizen expects the HHS General Counsel to respond in some way, and that can take some time. This action is more litigation-like than general activist-like. Public Citizen sent the letter; now we wait for response. There may be an opportunity for action down the line, and I will definitely keep everyone posted on that as the situation evolves.

Thank you, and stay tuned!

8. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Thank you Jen,

I like this group apolitical, our country is so screwed by us vs them (Dems vs Repubs), we are all being hurt by this and will probably be hurt even more with our crazy finances!

GG

K2 for Hope likes this.
  9. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Success!! Public Citizen received a letter from Dr. Nancy Lee of the CFSAC. The High Priority document will be discussed at the spring 2013 meeting of the CFSAC, which means the public will have an opportunity to comment. I've posted the letter and other information on my blog: http://www.occupycfs.com/2013/03/01/swift-response/

Roy S likes this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well
    Well done, Jenny - that's excellent news. Thanks for getting this done.

jspotila likes this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well

12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well

See more popular forum discussions.