Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Psychology Prof comments - Mitochondria not Hypochondria

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by pictureofhealth, Feb 8, 2011.

1. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    From the UK, sensible assessment of where we are (or more accurately, where we are not), in ME research and treatment, from a Prof of Psychology:

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/arti...=Health Overview&article=15476&forumid=331851

Includes deconstructing the harmful ME psychology paradigm, as well as advocating biomedical research/treatment in ME as the fundamental path forward.

Includes some interesting comments/research that I was not aware of before now.

I hope she gets together with ME Research UK.

Not entirely sure where to post this, so hope this is the right spot.

2. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    Haven't read it all yet but what I have read sounds like she has an excellent handle on the crux of this condition.

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    V. interesting find, picture! Particularly:

Has anybody in the UK had any luck on trying to get the tests she mentions done on the NHS? Are those things treatable on the NHS (apart from the mycoplasma, which she says is treatable by antibiotics)?

I'd like to be able to go to my GP with a list of tests and knowing that if the tests come up positive, there is some treatment.

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks to you all for this stunning piece of news. My tests basic NHS with nothing more than weak anti-smooth muscle antibodies and ME typical "high spots in the brain". Nothing explained or done. Adrenal problems acknowledged later and again nothing done to aid. If the tests proposed were done as routine and treated at the time may I agree save years of ill health with all that follows. Oh forgot to add thyroid problems found and treated but really didn't change the picture. Hoping better luck for everyone else.

5. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    Just a heads up about treating Mycoplasma Pneumoniae.

My experience with Myco Pn. was very distressing. Normally fourteen days of Doxycyclin gets rid of Myco. Pn. or so they say. Not so in my case evidently.

Nor too would it seem, that five concurrent antibiotics both IV and oral administered while I was in hospital for a terrible cough and Myco. Pn, did not get rid of the Myco. Pn. as I was found to have it again two years later. So either, those antibiotics did get rid of it and I was unlucky enough to get it twice or I had a chronic infection for the intervening two years.

I would definitely recommend pushing to have titres repeated after any treatment for Myco.Pn.

6. pictureofhealth

Europe
    Yes, just treating one aspect of ME at a time never seems to work does it? There is a bigger picture somewhere behind all this. We were hoping XMRV would be it I guess - a 'puppetmaster' as someone so eloquently put it (?Cort), that disrupts the immune system/cellular identity at a fundamental level, making all other approaches ineffective until the main player is addressed.

7. pictureofhealth

Europe
    btw - "Mitochondria not Hypochondria" - what a great title - wish I'd thought of that!

8. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    This is a great article, thanks for finding it Picture! I dont know how many people in the public sector would have read it, but its so reassuring to know there are professionals in the U.K who understand and believe in the reality of this disease. Her article was very well informed, but simple. I wonder therefore why its so hard to get Doctors to understand this?

See more popular forum discussions.