• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychologists' Study Proves They Are A Bunch Of Humourless Prats

leela

Honestly, as I was reading the article I kept thinking it was something from The Onion. If only! :aghhh:

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

I want good scientific studies in the British Journal of Psychiatry analyzing psychiatrists for psychopathology; especially some in Britain.

The article states "In a study in the British Journal of Psychiatry, researchers analyzed comedians from Australia, Britain, and the United States and found they scored significantly higher on four types of psychotic characteristics compared to a control group of people who had noncreative jobs."

What's next, a study showing creative people are psychotic?

Oops, was that funny? I hope not. We should not be funny. No comedy here. We must conform to the Orwellian Newspeak of psychopathologizing normal.

allyb

OK OK so I've edited it a little................:angel:

Do I think I'm a comedian???.........(with ME :jaw-drop:) gosh CFD.... Chronically Funny Disease....a new one for the DSM Mr :nerd:

Psychiatrists have Narcissistic psychotic personality traits, study finds

(Reuters) - Having an unusual personality structure could be the secret to making other people cry, scientists said on Thursday after research showed that Psychiatrists have high levels of narcisstic psychotic personality traits.

In a study in the Phoenix Rising, Take it With a Pinch of Salt Journal, researchers analyzed Psychiatrists from mostly Britain but a few from Australia and the United States and found they scored significantly higher on four types of psychotic characteristics compared to a control group of people who had real jobs.

The traits included a tendency towards impulsive or anti-social behavior, and a tendency to avoid intimacy.

"The narcissistic elements needed to produce humiliation are strikingly similar to those characterizing the cognitive style of people with Narcissistic Psychosis Personality Disorder.

Some people diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by unwarranted feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy(said Wikiapedia ! ) .[4]

Although the traits in question are known as either “narcissistic” or "psychotic", Claridages said, they can also represent healthy equivalents of features such as moodiness, social introversion and the tendency to lateral thinking. "Although narcissistic psychosis itself can be detrimental to anyone on the receiving end of it, in its lesser form it can decrease people's ability to associate with the rational and completely impede their ability to think 'outside the box'," he said.

"Equally, manic thinking - which is common in people with narcissistic personality disorder - may help people combine ideas to form new, original and names for made up mental illnesses.

The researchers recruited lots of psychiatrists – who were instrumental in the New DSM 5 and asked them to complete an online questionnaire designed to measure psychotic and narcissistic traits in healthy people.

The traits scored were "unusual experiences", such as belief in telepathy and paranormal events, "”false illness beliefs” cognitive disorganization" such as difficulty in focusing thoughts, "introvertive anhedonia" - reduced ability to feel social and physical pleasure, and "impulsive non-conformity", or tendency towards impulsive, antisocial behavior.

The same questionnaire was also completed by 364 refuse collectors - who are also accustomed to dealing with complete garbage - as a control group, and the Psychiatrists' and Refuse Collectors' results were compared to each other as well as a general group of 831 people who had jobs.

The researchers found that Psychiatrists scored significantly higher on all four types of psychotic narcissistic personality traits compared to the general group. Most striking were their high scores for impulsive non-conformity and introverted personality traits, the researchers said.

The Refuse collectors scored higher than the general group on three types of garbage recycling but did not display high levels of introverted personality traits.

(Editing by Ally B ) ;) that’s ME

leela

Hmm. I wonder why the title of my thread was changed... I don't mind, but the original meaning was the psychologists' own study proves they are a bunch of idiots. The ' is the plural possessive in case it was thought that was a typo. I thought that was an added layer of funny.

ETA I just remembered OPs can change titles now. I changed it back :nerd: