Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Psychological Trauma and Functional Somatic Syndromes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Psychological Trauma and Functional Somatic Syndromes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
    Niloofar Afari, Sandra M. Ahumada, Lisa Johnson Wright, Sheeva Mostoufi, Golnaz Golnari, Veronica Reis, and Jessica Gundy Cuneo.
    Psychosomatic Medicine December 12, 2013 PSY.0000000000000010
    Published online before print December 12, 2013
    doi: 10.1097/PSY.0000000000000010
    http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/early/2013/12/11/PSY.0000000000000010.abstract

Esther12 likes this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Please don't shoot the messenger! :nervous: * (Disclaimer: Based on analysis of previous similar research I'm certain that this study will prove to be weak and meaningless on close inspection especially in terms of studying CFS/ME.)

One minor** flaw in the study is that CFS (as opposed to chronic fatigue) is not a Functional Somatic Syndrome: It has an immunological pathology with neurological symptoms, and is categorised as neurological by the WHO.

I haven't got access to the full paper. Perhaps it might be useful to study some of the detail: i.e. How is CFS mostly defined (e.g. Oxford, Fukuda)? What sort of trauma is most associated with CFS (e.g. physical or psychological trauma)? Is it all just an utter load of nonsense?

* I know you won't :)
    ** When I say 'minor' I mean 'major'.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Helen likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Ahem. Allow me to summarize:

Idiots reach idiotic conclusions based on idiotic assumptions. The End.

SOC, Sea, rosie26 and 7 others like this.
  4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

@Bob. I am betting that the evidence base for CFS primarily involves research which was retrospective and/or did not medically evaluate patients, two obvious major flaws in such research. I would like to know how the association for CFS can be "robust" if comprised from poor quality research:

Retrospective research is notorious for producing suspicious positives, particularly when people are suffering now, which may distort memories of previous suffering. In chronic pain, there is a tendency for the research to show associations when retrospective but not prospective. One study had both measures on the same people and found a retrospective but not prospective association, which questions the presumed association, although there may be limitations with that study IIRC.

I think the association between trauma and CFS is a combination of poor research artifact, misdiagnoses, real effects of stress on physiology (often exaggerated and overgeneralized but still plausible), and perhaps an early warning system that something is going wrong biologically e.g. as an example for this I often draw a parallel to the increased rates of pre-morbid depression in those who later develop Parkinson's disease.

I bet that part comes from the CDC studies using the notorious Reeves et al operationalization of CDC criteria which saw a sudden 10 fold increase in prevalence figures and an unhelpful overlap with depression.

Well-conducted prospective research on medically diagnosed ME/CFS or GTFO!?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. Ambrosia_angel

Ambrosia_angel Senior Member

England
    Well unless I've had trauma or have had physically or sexually abuse that I really can't remember then this clearly doesn't apply to me then. I must be in the 5% that never experienced trauma. I was pretty normal. Not always happy but very very normal. Normal for the Uk standard of a ambitious teenage. I never had any serious problems in life which I look back on as very grateful.

6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    "Arrogant mental masturbation by pretentious arseholes", hm? ;)

do these scumbags ever bother like TALKING TO THE PATIENTS?!

Despite the crap in my life, I never was depressed until I had THIS illness for over six years!
    With one odd exception: bug going around that I got, wasn't very bad but I recall for couple of days feeling way out of sorts, mentally. Pretty sure it was "depression" I just didn't have the experience to categorize it at the time, which leads to an obvious conclusion....

Valentijn likes this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Science by questionnaire isn't science. Patients adjust themselves to the expectations of others. When these others believe in a causal relationship between psychological trauma and illness, then patients will be more likely to see things in that way too.

I remember very well how initially I felt guilty about being ill because the opinion of others around me was that I should feel guilty.

Psychosomatic medicine is quacky and superstitious and not interested in reality.

SOC, rosie26, SilverbladeTE and 3 others like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Agreed. The whole genre of pyschosomatic medicine would make an excellent pate.
    Crackers anyone. . .

See more popular forum discussions.