The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Psychological Medicine paper: behaviours that perpetuate ME: Chalder and Ross-Morris

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-syndromediv/7C389251202684B201D7118CE7EE1343

These people just don't know when they are beaten. There must be a psychiatric label for that....just can't think of it right now.

Keep digging Rona and Trudie!

Joh, Mary, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  2. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Now, who would consistently interpret ambiguous information in a particular way in order to make it fit with their theories about something? I'm sure I've seen this pattern somewhere before.

Joh, taniaaust1, Jennifer J and 26 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

All these studies have ever done was reporting a correlation between these things, and drawing extraordinary unsupported conclusions such as the belief to suffer from an illness being not the consequence of an illness but the cause! They have never ruled out that patients have an illness that makes them believe that they are ill.

Of course if you put it this way it's evident how stupid their reasoning is, but they hide it behind ambiguous technical language and weasel words.

I find it difficult to believe they are acting in good faith. I think they despise patients and don't mind exploiting us to advance their careers by publishing this junk.

Jennifer J, suseq, Mary and 25 others like this.
  4. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

If they tested someone with diabetes about what they thought about when prompted with the word "sugar" that person would be more likely to think about their illness than a healthy person. Does that mean that their diabetes is caused by them thinking about it more often? Of course not.

Their conclusion is clearly false causation, that the thoughts about being ill are mystically causing symptoms, rather than they are thinking about being ill because they are ill. Talk about not being a double blind, they are totally blind to the truth!

5. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

Stuffed full of psychological projection - their own cognitions and behaviours maintain ME by making people worse with irresponsible CBT and GET, and hogging the little funding available. Moreover, the fear avoidance model is their own - their clear fear of biomedical science. They are the perfect manifestation of Einstein's theory of madness. They keep doing the same thing over and over, and it never works. This is their careers. This is what they've achieved in life.

6. worldbackwards

Earth
    It's one for Occam's razor, I think: Have you a) found an entirely new paradigm of illness, not supported by hard science but rather by ambiguous correlation and "expert" opinion, or b) might you not know what it is?

7. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    I can't believe they keep getting funded for this bullshit!

I wonder what the results would be for other fatigue causing illnesses such as MS?

8. worldbackwards

Earth
    The same. Cancer fatigue as well. "Common sense" apparently

9. UKmum

UKmum

I think PWME should all stop participating in these stupid trials. Of course an ill person is going to respond differently to words about that illness than someone not experiencing that illness.
    I would have a different reaction to the word peanut than someone with a nut allergy.
    It would be interesting to study the bias of researchers in this field to CFS related stimuli. Perhaps a trial should be suggested but I don't think we'd get any participants.

Mary, PennyIA, jodie100 and 11 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

We would need some valid positive controls, maybe pairs of words beginning with C and B:

Cognitive Behavioural
    Cardigan Bleu
    Caught Bullshitting
    Cold Bath
    Custard and Bananas (to invoke repressed childhood desires)

The list could include checks for consistency and all the usual validation techniques. It would be important to do MRI scans of the limbic system and amygdala while the therapists are filling the form in though. That would get more funding.

The lack of common sense of these people is mind-blowing.

11. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member

I don't know if folks on here remember but Alicia Hughes was actually a Visitor on PR trying to recruit for this codswallop trial.

taniaaust1, Mark, snowathlete and 5 others like this.
  12. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
  13. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

It is and I wonder whether they ever went to a good medschool.

Luther Blissett and GreyOwl like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Well said! Without this lot we might actually be a lot further forward in our search for effective treatments/a cure. They and their ilk have effectively blocked research for most of the last 30 years.

taniaaust1, suseq, Mary and 6 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

The problem is that a huge number of pwME have no real understanding of the politics involved. Not just newbies either.

But then this is exactly what SW et al wanted when they claimed that belonging to support groups will prolong/worsen the condition. Divide & conquer & keep 'em ignorant.

slysaint, Mary, Sea and 9 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I am ashamed that a researcher at a London medical school should behave in this way treating patients like laboratory rats in effect. The thread with the request from Hughes is totally disingenuous. The purpose of the study was clearly not what was advertised. This is a serious breach of trust on the part of a healthcare professional and I think a formal complaint would be justified.

How can these people be so stupid that they do not realise that patients are sometimes intelligent human beings who can see through the 'researchers' ' irrational beliefs. And if your theory is about damaging false beliefs it might be a good idea to remove the beam from your own eye....

If I was the Dean of King's I think I would consider this a disciplinary matter.

mango, slysaint, taniaaust1 and 39 others like this.
  17. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

18. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    That crossed my mind too when I read the post about the study by the researcher.

19. worldbackwards

Earth
    Rather satisfying that the PR populous was generally found to be having none of it.

20. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

As long as the cause for this disease isn't found, they can say whatever they want to say. When the real cause have been found -i hope it wil be soon- they say: O we didn't know that then.... They won't even give an excuse for their stupid behaviour and work. These people are very dangerous for the health of many patiƫnts. ''Aggravated assault'!

medfeb, taniaaust1, Barry53 and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.