Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Psychiatry Advisor's Top Ten Articles of 2015

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Never Give Up, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Psychiatry Advisor sent me an mail with the above title. Number three is "The Role of Antiviral Therapy in Chronic Fatigue Treatment".

The article is written by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD, who brought us "Valacyclovir Treatment of Chronic Fatigue in Adolescents", http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24445302 in 2014.

He invokes the IOM report, says it aligns with his clinical experience with both adolescents and adults, and favorably compares antiviral therapy outcomes to CBT and GET while slamming the PACE trial methodology.

Number three!

2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Yay. PACE feels like a dead trial walking. Or not walking, depending on how you interpret the walking data.

3. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    You'd have to see it first.:)

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    When I saw the title I thought it was going to be bad news. I hope that it gets a lot of reading.

We'll know when PACE is a dead 'duck' when the quacks go silent.

5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I don't have low motivation. Anyone got low motivation?

Of course these two articles are very much to be welcomed. I just can't help being highly motivated to see our illness described accurately.

6. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I know what you mean! Lately what's been bugging me a lot is the word 'fatigue'. What is fatigue? Is that even a symptom worth mentioning? It's vague as can be.

I definitely don't have low motivation or diminished mood either. But apart from that I'm glad to see this article in a top 3. That is progress.

TiredSam, ahmo and sarah darwins like this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Up to 91% remain undiagnosed

California
    This PA article played a key role in my doctor finally taking my disease seriously. Glad that it was widely read.

Woolie, JAH, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Duck or dodo? I wonder if the last of the dodos had any inkling they were about to go extinct?

Cheshire, Never Give Up and helen1 like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    If you properly apply EBM methodology, which is very rare even in EBM reviews, then you derive the same conclusion. Its about effect sizes, and methodological problems in PACE and similar trials. Antivirals do better than CBT/GET overall. Yet they only apply to patients with high viral titres. Its a subgroup success. Rituximab looks to be another subgroup success. I suspect antibiotics might be too, but the literature appears weaker there.

10. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Here's a link to the article:

http://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/op...-in-chronic-fatigue-treatment/article/405424/

Those seem like very bold claims. Still, very refreshing to read a psychiatrist who talks about ME in terms of physical illness and even criticises PACE.

Woolie, Mel9, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Another crack in the dam. :cool:

Valentijn and Never Give Up like this.
  12. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Its funny, before I knew anything about this disease, I would never have described my primary symptom as fatigue.

Early on, a doctor once said that he was puzzled by my case, because my symptoms were so "non-specific". "You know, fatigue etc.".

"But I never said I felt fatigued", I replied. "I feel like I have a constant flu, acheing burning neck glands, crushing headache, constant feeling of being in a hot sweat, and often a sore throat like its been ripped out with sandpaper. Doesn't sound that nonspecific to me".

The doc replied, "But you also said you're stuck in bed most of the time. Why would you need to go to bed unless you were fatigued?"

He was a pretty decent doctor too. Argh!

13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

14. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.