Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Psych-lobby on manoeuvres?

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Bob, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this in, but the timing seems highly coincidental to me...

The Most Popular Terms for Medically Unexplained Symptoms: The Views of CFS Patients

Federica Picariello, Sheila Ali, Rona Moss-Morris, Trudie Chalder
    February 28, 2015
    Journal of Psychosomatic Research
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2015.02.013

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I can't work out why it's been published - the abstract suggests that it's simply a small patient survey...

Note that, in the survey, they asked about alternative names for 'MUS', which is a psychiatric umbrella term - They aren't asking specifically about CFS. So, they've asked CFS patients to voice their opinions in relation to abstract technical terminology in the field of psychiatry.

As a general observation, it's interesting to note that 'CFS' comes under the umbrella 'MUS', whereas other diseases of unknown cause don't. (e.g. MS or Parkinson's.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Valentijn, oceiv, Aurator and 5 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

They get all the best papers, don't they?

I wonder if they asked 'do you want to be given a label that lumps you in with all MUS?'

oceiv, Aurator, ahmo and 3 others like this.
  4. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Just what CFS needs an even broader term that muddles up diagnosis with even more other conditions :bang-head:

Also is taking a quick poll journal worthy research these days ?

Valentijn, Cheshire, halcyon and 3 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Funny enough, this ties in with a blog I am writing. Nice timing. More in a few weeks, especially after I get my real computer back.

Bob and Aurator like this.
  6. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

The paper would more honestly be named:
    "The least unpopular terms for medically unexplained symptoms among a carefully chosen group of CFS patients who don't know us very well and whom we hoodwinked into thinking that by MUS we mean something other than a somatisation disorder."

Bob, Valentijn, Sidereal and 5 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Jumping the gun a little before my blog (actually part several of a planned series) my favourite term for Medically Unexplained Symptoms is Medically Unexplained Symptoms, with clear emphasis on the unexplained.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    oceiv and heapsreal like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For a Moss-Morris and Chalder paper, I thought this was reasonably reported and less annoying than a lot of their output. I'm not saying there were no annoying bits.

See more popular forum discussions.