• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protozoan infection - how to treat?

sianrecovery

I talked to my doctor yesterday about the triple cocktail, and whether or not she would oversee it. She's up for it, if I can co-ordinate the Sydney end. She made an interesting point - that all the discussion about pathnogenicity etc - what the poster on the other forum seems to feel very passionately about - may be beside the point - if you have an immune response to the bug, an allergenic response, you may still be better off without it. I want to be rid of the blasto, if I can, not because I think it will cure me, but in the hope it will lighten the load, and reduce the inflamation in my GI tract. And it seems like an obvious kind of thing to try. The other thing she said - and I think this makes sense - is that an infestation that might make no difference to a healthy person, with good, protective gut muccosa, might well present more of a challenge to someone who's system is already compromised.

Even if the Blasto is just an innocent bystander, hopefully the real culprits would get caught in the crossfire. Are you still with Dr Myhill?

All testing, even PCR, seems highly unreliable. I may try and see how expensive it is to get some serum antibody testing done. Other than that the Parawellness doc from the US seems to be quite experienced and accessible. Diagnos-Techs do some saliva antibody testing apparently. It could all be a lot of wasted time and money to try to get a doctor to take something seriously that may or may not exist.

adreno

PR activist
All testing, even PCR, seems highly unreliable.
Yes. The problem is that there are no definitive tests. They are unreliable, with both false positives and negatives. So essentially we don't know whether there is an infection or not. Secondly, treatment seems hit or miss. Thirdly, we have no idea whether our symptoms are due to a parasite or something else entirely.

We could do all the tests available, and still not be able to trust the results of them. We could empirically try all drugs and supps available, but if we still have symptoms, we do not know whether this is because of the parasite not being eradicated, or because there was no parasite there to begin with.

sianrecovery

Found a wonderful, science based blog on identification and implications of blasto, type in dr stensvold blog, and it comes up. Best discussion of issues by about a million miles. Still no easy answers.

invisiblejungle

Adreno, my Metametrix stool test in May 2011 showed the Parasite Present - Taxonomy Unavailable, and a recent test from December 2012 showed that it was gone. I can't say for sure what caused the change, but in between those tests I had taken a combination of antibiotics for H. Pylori (amoxicillin, clairthomycin, and metronodizole).

The PPTU is really a conundrum. It's possible that it isn't even causing you any major problems.

end

Adreno, my Metametrix stool test in May 2011 showed the Parasite Present - Taxonomy Unavailable, and a recent test from December 2012 showed that it was gone. I can't say for sure what caused the change, but in between those tests I had taken a combination of antibiotics for H. Pylori (amoxicillin, clairthomycin, and metronodizole).

The PPTU is really a conundrum. It's possible that it isn't even causing you any major problems.

70% of MM parasite detection come back as a PPTU. Many people are later diagnosed with E.Histolytica by Dr Cahill in NYC

http://pptu.lefora.com/forum/category/pptu-forum-topics-dr-cahill-e-histolytica/