1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and morphometry of the hippocampus in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by A.B., Feb 11, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Abstract
    What's the significance of this finding? According to Wikipedia, N-acetylaspartate is the second most concentrated molecule in the brain, and is synthesized in the mitochondria of neurons. Its functions are thought to include
    1. A neuronal osmolyte that is involved in fluid balance in the brain
    2. A source of acetate for lipid and myelin synthesis in oligodendrocytes, the glial cells that myelinate neuronal axons
    3. A precursor for the synthesis of the important neuronal dipeptide N-Acetylaspartylglutamate
    4. A contributor to energy production from the amino acid glutamate in neuronal mitochondria.

http://www.birpublications.org/doi/pdf/10.1259/bjr.73.875.11144799
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    The hippocampus is directly involved in the formation and consolidation of information from short-term memory to long-term memory and spatial navigation.

It would explain how the persistent memory issues.
    anciendaze likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.