1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and morphometry of the hippocampus in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by A.B., Feb 11, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Abstract
    What's the significance of this finding? According to Wikipedia, N-acetylaspartate is the second most concentrated molecule in the brain, and is synthesized in the mitochondria of neurons. Its functions are thought to include
    1. A neuronal osmolyte that is involved in fluid balance in the brain
    2. A source of acetate for lipid and myelin synthesis in oligodendrocytes, the glial cells that myelinate neuronal axons
    3. A precursor for the synthesis of the important neuronal dipeptide N-Acetylaspartylglutamate
    4. A contributor to energy production from the amino acid glutamate in neuronal mitochondria.

http://www.birpublications.org/doi/pdf/10.1259/bjr.73.875.11144799
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    The hippocampus is directly involved in the formation and consolidation of information from short-term memory to long-term memory and spatial navigation.

It would explain how the persistent memory issues.
    anciendaze likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.