• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protocol around S-Acetyl Glutathione

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
no I don't take any b complex orally - can't seem to tolerate any, just trying out a transdermal spray, b1, 2, 5, 6. 12 - I seem to have a bit more energy - whether thats from the t4 I was just taking I don't know. I've stopped the t4 now so I'll soon find out!!
wow that a massive list of supplements.........

Ema

Thanks @Freddd!

I carried on taking the ET mb12 at 5000 mcg and the SN adB12 sublingually while taking the glutathione. I did stop the additional folate (I was taking 1600 mcg/day) though there is 400 mcg of methylfolate in my B complex (Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus). http://www.pureencapsulations.com/b-complex-plus.html

So would you titrate from the point where I am or would you take everything lower again? Do you think I need more mB12 than 5000 mg?

FWIW, I never felt much of any start up or detox even when I started these supps at the very beginning. The only reaction I got was when I started the Deplin which provoked anxiety in doses over about 2000 mcg/day.

I'm not currently taking any LCF or Co-Q-10.

I am taking a variety of other supplements which I will list here:

Fish oil, 4-6 g /day
Inosine
Vit D, 2000 IU
Vit K2, MK4, 30 mg
Vit A, 10000 IU
Alpha Lipoic Acid, 600 mg
Zinc, 40 mg
Multi Mineral Supp
Iron, 18 mg
Licorice, 500 mg x2
Rhodiola, 240 mg x2
Vitex, x2
KDur, 20-40 mEQ
Grapefruit Seed Extract, 250 mg x3
Niacinamide 1000 mg x2 (for Lyme)
L-Theanine, 200 mg x2
Probiotics

Meds are Valcyte, Valtrex, cidofovir, doxy, azith, and Hizentra.

I think the only potentially problematic one is probably the niacinamide. I only started this in the last month though on the advice of my LLMD as it has antibacterial effects at high doses. So in that respect, I am using it more as a med than as a supp.

Thanks again for your help!
@Freddd, Do you have any thoughts on where I started with the B12 and Deplin?

I'm about ready to give up on the Deplin again thanks to massive headaches, irritability and anxiety starting up again. I only managed a quarter of the tablet today. It sounds like the way out of this is to take MORE Deplin but that seems so counterintuitive.

I also don't know how much more potassium I should take. I took 30 mEQ yesterday. Shouldn't that be enough to prevent potassium deficiency? I also have really tight muscles in my upper back starting in the last few days.

Thanks, Ema

Freddd

Hi Ema,

Is anxiety a usual symptom for you?

Consider the below a beginning. But I do need the answer to the above question.

Also, please describe the earliest effects of glutathione that you noticed?

I would guess the B3 (niacinamide) is a major problem and is possibly tremendously overdriving the potassium and or L-methylfolate need.

The glutathione could have been screwing things totally in unpredictable ways. It would have completely gotten rid 100mg a day injected of b12. I would suggest falling back to a low dose b-complex twice a day leave the b12 as it is though it may start working very suddenly and 800mcg or so of Metafolin. I had to take a couple of 15mg doses of Metafolin (Deplin) to get methylation going after glutathione was discontinued.

Ema

Hi Ema,

Is anxiety a usual symptom for you?

Consider the below a beginning. But I do need the answer to the above question.

Also, please describe the earliest effects of glutathione that you noticed?

I would guess the B3 (niacinamide) is a major problem and is possibly tremendously overdriving the potassium and or L-methylfolate need.

The glutathione could have been screwing things totally in unpredictable ways. It would have completely gotten rid 100mg a day injected of b12. I would suggest falling back to a low dose b-complex twice a day leave the b12 as it is though it may start working very suddenly and 800mcg or so of Metafolin. I had to take a couple of 15mg doses of Metafolin (Deplin) to get methylation going after glutathione was discontinued.
I have certainly been anxious in my life but it is not a constant. It has definitely gotten much worse since the 3.25 mg of Deplin for the past few days. It's the same thing that caused me to drop down last time I tried this. And I wasn't taking any B3 at that time. Anxious and irritable, verging on angry.

I never noticed anything, good or bad, from the glutathione. Who knows, possibly it was a totally ineffective form. Though that would be irritating considering the expense! The increased MCV was what sent me looking for ideas.

So you are saying to drop the B3, add another B complex, and drop the Deplin dose down to 800 mcg? Will I continue to try to raise the Deplin or is 800 mcg sufficient?

What do you consider a good low dose B complex?

Are you thinking also that I should take a big dose of Deplin once or twice now in addition to the normal daily dose?

Thank you!

saint

Hi Laozi,

Glutathione can be very dangerous. I have no idea if the form matters. It can put a person into methyltrap in a day and from there inflammation increases, folate deficiency symptoms increase and after a few days MeCbl deficiency symptoms become evident. Neurological damage can become apparent in 6 weeks. Here is what I wrote up a couple of years following my own trial by glutathione. I have not fully recovered from the neurological damage it caused, and this is getting to be 5 years post.

Folate deficiency symptoms, otherwise known as "Glutathione detox"

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation, IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body,

Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

HOW TO INDUCE SUBACUTE COMBINED DEGENERATION and enlarged MCV in humans in 3 months or less.

Causing SCD and macrocytic anemia was NEVER our intention, our intention was to induce health benefits from glutathione or precursors as claimed these days amongst certain practitioners. This is just how it turned out, 180 degrees from what we expected.
Individual results will vary but in an N=10 trial, 100% of subjects had the results to varying degrees, perhaps as they used several different precursor combos or infusions.

The subjects were all successful with adb12, mb12 and Metafolin. Those not in this group that had never relieved the deficiency symptoms claimed pain relief from the glutathione as their nerves were damaged further into numbness.

Method 1 - feed subjects 1 gram of l-glutamine and 600mg of time release NAC twice a day for duration (or frequent glutathione infusions, or NAC or whey in some). In 3 hours after first dose most of available b12 in the body will be flushed out in the urine. Then within the next few hours methylfolate is expelled from the cells via the "methyl trap". Widespread body, muscle and joint, inflammation and pain start within hours and gets worse by the day. This is responsive to NSAIDS generally.

Folate deficiency symptoms appear the first day, mb12 deficiency symptoms in several days and adb12 deficiency symptoms - 3 months or so.

Over the next days and weeks, CPR heads for the roof. Hypersensitivity of all sorts starts, MCS, hyper-immune response, hypersensitivity in nerves, etc. In 3 days angular cheilitis starts up in those who are prone to it. In 2 more days IBS starts. At about the same time acne type lesions start up on scalp and face and often infected follicles in other body areas. Oral lesions usually follow. By six weeks centrally mediated numbness and pain of feet and legs, hands, arms, shoulders etc are all spreading and worsening.

Dr Jeckyl leaves the house and is replaced with Mr Hyde for the duration. Sleep disorders increase. In 3 months macrocytosis is obvious, MCV > 100. MS will be dramatically worsened. If the person is also extremely low on l-carnitine and/or adb12 Parkinson's like symptoms may worsen explosively. Then if l-carnitine is given the subject may go absolutely nuts and a walkthrough of the extreme FFF characteristics of the limbic system will be demonstrated in usually the same order each time, dependent upon rising or falling l-carnitine level.

Reversal, if SCD is not allowed to go too far is multiple 15mg doses of Metafolin (Deplin) and three 50mg mb12 doses or 10mg SC injections of SUITABLE 5 star mecbl until healed for at least a year, and of adcbl the first few days. On day 3 need for potassium will increase by 2000-3000mg to avoid dramatic sudden onset of Hypokalemia symptoms when backlogged healing starts up. Also on day 3 Metafolin dosage needs increase.

In about a month inflammation will be largely gone if all cofactors are present that are needed, CRP <=1.0, multitudes of pains will be fading. Only the remyelination and MCV take about 9 months to correct to the extent that they can but trail on for years as it is an ongoing equilibrium that is either getting better or worse.
I am scheduled for surgery, and have been trying to fast-forward my health to the degree that it will be able to withstand the assault of a surgery.

I was going to try glutathione, but after researching and coming to your experience, I cancelled an order for liposomal glutathione. Do you think that it is dangerous to take glutathione in any form: liposomal or acetyl?

Don't know how old post is, but do you still feel strongly against it's use? (I can warn everybody about "minimally invasive surgery" - because I was severely damaged by it - so I like taking other's experiences seriously.)

I was getting some IV's at fibro doc office with glutathione in it, but read that it just disintegrates. I did not get any bad reaction.

How do you recommend raising glutathione levels? Thanks for any advice.