• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protein metabolism issues with compound hetero?

chilove

Hey all,

Does anyone know if alot of compound hetero folks have problems metabolising all forms of protein or is it just me and a couple of folks I happened to hear of? Our reactions to eating any significant amount of protein sources are so severe that I'd like to understand it better but am not sure where to start.

If if I have even the tiniest bit of animal protein my body blows up in extreme inflammation and pain, icluding iritis which my opthamologist isn't too happy with because it's causing scar tissue in my eyes. While I tolerate plant based proteins much better I even get this reaction from the protein in some greens or veggies and definitely nuts or seeds or spirulina or other algaes whenever I have more than a very small amount at a time.

Anyone know about the protein issue?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

greenshots

If you are referring to having partial defects in both MTHFRs then that by itself shouldn't be a big issue. However, even though many disagree with her findings of thousands of patients, Yasko has found that the CBS upregulation & NOS defect (urea cycle ammonia clean up) lead to problems of increase waste (CBS draining the system too rapidly) and processing (NOS) since the Urea cycle is typically not working very well in those with chronic disease. If you have the MTHFR A1298C on top of that, its a real issue since this area provides the clean up material for the urea cycle, and their already both struggling to begin with. The combo may mean that any extra protein (broken down as ammonia) will lead to more symptoms of high ammonia levels (headaches, irritability, brain fog, aches, lethargy, stupor, etc., and in really high levels, seizures and severe lethargy).

So, if you have these defects, it might pay to NOT eliminate protein but just spread it out differently so you're not getting a huge burger or steak at dinner (at the end of the day when you already have accumulation & are just adding to it). Maybe eat smaller portions since its been found Americans actually eat too much protein anyway (esp junk protein) and have your bigger meat meal midday with a lighter dinner or something similar so that you don't avoid the critical need for proteins but aren't suffering as much from it either. I don't think its too heretical to suggest making some dietary adjustments and then see how you do. But others may disagree with it.

Good luck to you in finding that balance,
Angela

chilove

Hi Angela,

Yes I do have the MTHFR A1298C as well. I've only been able to eat raw fruits and some raw vegetables due to my food sensitivies for the last 10 years so I am suffering from low weight and muscle tone due to not having enough protein. I need to up my protein overall to improve my nutritional status (per my doctor) but I have reacted very negatively to every type of protein we can think of.

THanks so much for your reply.. I'm trying hard to make sense of all this while I have brain fog.... I'm leading my doctor now and have to figure this stuff out on my own.. LOL...

THanks!

Crux

Hi Audrey;
Another possibility is that of low stomach acid. Cortisol contributes to stomach acid formation. Some of the symptoms of low to very low cortisol can be digestion problems, nausea, and especially intractable vomiting. Ofcourse, there can be other reasons for these symptoms. A serum blood test works pretty well for this. ( It does for me at least.) Cortisol replacement can be very difficult to manage because it performs so many actions, and some may not be needed by an individual.
But many B-complexes contain HCL, and many B's are active in the formation of HCL, so they may help with protein digestion. Some people are helped with a small amount of apple cider vinegar added to a glass of water. 1 tsp.-1tbl. Sea salt also helps because of the chloride content.