1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Protecting the Nation's Blood Supply. Not!" Campaign and video (Nov 30, 2010)

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by RivkaRivka, Nov 30, 2010.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Did the American Red Cross actually state that activist pressure influenced their decision, or is that a statement by the CAA?
  2. Carryon

Carryon Mike Munoz

Littleton, CO
    "We have added the attached flyer to our what-you-must-know packet for donors to read on their arrival."

Sara O'Brien
    Communications Manager
    American Red Cross

Rivka forwarded to me to post... Mike

Attached Files:

3. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

it was the red cross, i thought. i'll try to find the quote.
  4. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

it is #38 post on this thread. it said (was this from their facebook page?):

"The American Red Cross (ARC) developed its current policy shortly after the release of the June 18, 2010 AABB Association Bulletin and implemented this policy across its blood donation centers on Oct 11, 2010. Advocates who engaged with the ARC through letter-writing, Facebook and YouTube are to be congratulated for bringing the issue to greater attention. "
  5. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

jspotila, can post the URL to this quote? thanks!!!!!!
  6. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    That statement was on the CAA's Facebook page.
  7. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

ooooooooooooh.
  8. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

my action had nothing to do with the new policy. but i think ALL of our actions (facebook campaign, letters and video) all addressing this ban issue, all had an impact on the amer red cross putting out the press release.
  9. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Yes, but the ARC didn't publicize their actions until December 2nd (big grins) They was flyin' under the radar till they got hit by the Rivka machine. (big grins)
  10. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

personally, at first i thought that there was no way the video/email campaign i initiated could have resulted in the bigwigs at the red cross putting out the press release in just 4 short days after the video/email campaign started. but after thinking about it overnight, i now think it was likely instrumental -- in a tipping point kind of way.

the previous facebook and email campaigns and letters laid the ground work every effectively. then my video/email campaign (in which the emails were cc-ed to the CEO/President of the Amer Red Cross) just tipped the scales.

i think that the red cross had not told the world about their Oct 2010-implemented ME/CFS blood deferral yet because they were hoping a real test to test the existing blood supply could be found first, before they declared that we patients (and anyone with xmrv) may have contaminated the blood supply. but then when the CEO/President got about a dozen (and that may be all she got! i have no idea!) emails that included that video, she likely thought, "hey, we ARE deferring ME/CFS patients. we may as well tell the world about it now instead of getting bad press that we have not yet done it."

either way they would have gotten bad press. so they took the high road.

of course i may have all this wrong!

now, as george (on the Phx Rising forum) says, let's start a campaign now asking the FDA to ban all ME/CFS patients from donating blood. and let's do this now, before the Dec 14-15 meeting.

- rivka
  11. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

The congratulatory statement to activists was from the Association, NOT the American Red Cross.

Edited to add that I have no information on when the ARC started working on the press release.
  12. helen41

helen41 Senior Member

Sleepy Hollow Canada
    Rivka-
    " i thought that there was no way the video/email campaign i initiated could have resulted in the bigwigs at the red cross putting out the press release"
    I personally think you need to give yourself a huge pat on the back and accept that you did something amazing. Sure, maybe the stars were aligned, but if you didn't launch your campaign, I'm not at all convinced they wouldn't have carried on avoiding the issue. This is for you
    :victory::balloons::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  13. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I agree, great job!
  14. Marty

Marty Senior Member

Thanks to urbantravels for posting the Washington Post article. Here are two comments that I sent them:

Thanks for posting an article that might really upset the public, Rob. As a patient, we were advised not to give blood since the late 1980's because this disease had all the hallmarks of a retroviral infection. In 1991 we had pictures of the virus, yet the CDC shot it down, just like they did with the HIV virus. They are directly responsible for the contamination of the blood supply for years. Heads ought to roll; the CDC fought it with your money.

And a second one:
    Note: this disease is not chronic fatigue, as shown in the headline of the article, so the general population does not need to worry. Fatigue is just a symptom that is found in most illnesses and overworked people. The Red Cross is referring to Chronic Fatigue SYNDROME, a neuroimmune disease known around the world for decades as M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). The US government's Centers for Disease Control in 1988 tried to change the name to belittle the disease, just like they called AIDS "Gay Men's Disease", and the patients have fought those names ever since. The compromise name for CFS at the moment is ME/CFS. It is a severely debilitating disease, not just being sleepy. And it has recently been found to be highly associated with a retrovirus and a threat to the blood supply, thus the ban from the Red Cross.

This is direct advocacy exposing the CDC in a Washington newspaper for endangering the public. I consider that a letter worth writing because it is not just a plea for sympathy; it delivers a real consequence to the CDC. Let's redirect our advocacy to create real consequences, not just talk.
  15. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    "I am correct in recalling that the Facebook questions thread was later removed, yes?" Not sure but would really like to know this! I did not know that such a thing could be done?!

GG
  16. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    I see that I have been all know-it-all about this when actually the situation was as clear as mud and I knew nothing. Well, it wouldn't be the first time.

But as far as removing Facebook threads - you could do it yourself on your own page by deleting one of your own posts. It's not like a major cover-up or anything, I think they saw the Q&A thread was spinning out of control and decided it was best taken down.
  17. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Glad you're going to ask the FDA about video testimony.
    The CFS Advisory Committee recently accepted that form
    of testimony, didn't they?
  18. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

yes, but they are know they are working with people who are bedridden. the fda may not be as enlightened.
  19. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

can you or anyone tell us who the person to submit testimony is and how to contact them? where did you get this above quote? do you have a website?

rivka
  20. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Rivka,

You're right, Wanda Jones understands the needs
    of bedridden people and tries to help but the FDA
    may not.

I hope the FDA follows her lead and lets you
    submit your video. If you encounter a problem I
    wonder if Wanda could help you out in this area
    with them? Just an idea.

See more popular forum discussions.