1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Protecting consumers from misleading “mind over cancer” info from “peer-reviewed” journals - J Coyne

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There is no specific mention of ME/CFS in this piece I'm linking to.
    I think I may have posted before one or two of articles by James C. Coyne criticising claims that psychological therapies can prolong life.
    Anyway, this is a newer article which doesn't have its own thread on PR.

I thought this was an interesting critique (I read it without following the links - it would have been quite long to read all the links I think). It doesn't go into the specific issues with the claims (except in the links) although does talk about issues like citation bias where papers that criticise what is said aren't quoted.

He talks about it being "woo science".
    He re-quotes this which he previously said in an earlier blog:

He talks about how the patient can be misled as well as they and their families thinking it's the patient's fault if they don't get better/they die.

I think similar points could be made about the claims of recovery with regard to CBT and GET in ME/CFS (I'm not saying these therapies can't help anybody; but leading to recovery is a much different claim).

See more popular forum discussions.