• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prostaglandin D2 suppresses human NK cell function via signaling through D prostanoid receptor

alex3619

There are a couple of prostaglandin D2 inhibitor drugs available to buy here, in case this is of interest:

D-cloprostenol: PGF2a Super-Agonist
Ramatroban

To anyone trying these drugs, please be careful. I suspect they can prevent sleep ... extreme insomnia, depending on dosage and mode of delivery.

Cloprostenol in particular is not targeting PGD2 directly, so the risk of side effects is higher.

Do research these drugs before trying them. They are used in the treatment of things like allergy and asthma, plus hair loss. They are probably reasonably safe, but you never know in ME.

Last edited:

Hip

Yes, as Alex says, do the research before you try these prostaglandin D2 inhibitor drugs. I just happened to come across these two drugs while looking for something else, so I just posted the info here.

I guess if prostaglandin D2 reduces natural killer cell activation, as the study at the beginning of this thread indicates, then the potential benefits of prostaglandin D2 inhibitor drugs for ME/CFS may pivot on just how much they boost our NK cell activation.

NK cell activation is known to be low in ME/CFS, and the severity of ME/CFS correlates to lower levels of NK cell activity (see studies citied below).

It's interesting how prostaglandin D2 inhibitors are touted as the future of hair loss treatment: "not only stopping hair loss, but enabling bald men to regrow full heads of hair".

Studies of NK function in ME/CFS:

Decreased natural killer cell activity is associated with severity of chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome
Longitudinal investigation of natural killer cells and cytokines in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis
Natural killer cell function in chronic fatigue syndrome (Nancy Klimas study)

Some articles:

A Closer Look at Natural Killer Cells In Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Three Natural Ways to Boost Them
CFS Patient Advocate: Blue Skies in MN (NK cell function)

snowathlete

This one is for searcher. Not exactly about low NK cells, about low NK cells function instead.

Prostaglandin D2 suppresses human NK cell function via signaling through D prostanoid receptor.

Chen Y, Perussia B, Campbell KS.
Source

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA.
Abstract

NK cells play critical roles in immune responses against tumors or virus infections by generating type 1 cytokine and cytotoxicity responses. In contrast, during type 2 dominant immune responses, such as allergic diseases, activities of NK cells are often impaired. These type 2 immune-mediated diseases have been reported to be closely associated with local production of PGD(2). PGD(2) is an eicosanoid primarily synthesized by mast cells and alveolar macrophages, and it functions through two major receptors, D prostanoid receptor (DP) and chemoattractant receptor-like molecule on the Th2 cell. Within the immune system, PGD(2) binding to DP generally leads to suppression of cellular functions. In the current study, we show that: 1) DP is expressed in human NK cells as detected by mRNA analysis and Western blot; 2) PGD(2) inhibits cytotoxicity, chemotaxis, and type 1 cytokine production of human NK cells via signaling through DP; 3) PGD(2) signaling via DP elevates intracellular cAMP levels and the inhibitory effects on NK cells are cAMP dependent; 4) PGD(2) binding to DP suppresses Ca(2+) mobilization triggered by the cross-linking of the activating receptor, CD16. Together, these data uncover a novel mechanism by which PGD(2) functions through DP to suppress type 1 and cytolytic functions of human NK cells, thus contributing to the promotion of a type 2 immune response.
PMID: 17709490

Interesting stuff. My prostaglandin when tested was very high.