• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Propranolol ER and Tiredness

SOC

Questus,
I hope you'll share some of your hard-earned knowledge. :) Is the only way to diagnose hyperadrenergic POTS with a catecholamines test? I think my cardiologist is thinking that I may have hyperadrenergic POTS (tachycardia, substantial BP and HR increase on standing), but is checking first to see if increasing blood volume resolves my tachycardia. I'm wondering if I should just request a catecholamine test. Any thoughts?

adreno

PR activist
Again, beta blockers are not used to treat hyper-pots. I wish they did work on hyper pots, I would have gotten better long ago.
I don't know where you are going with this. I have never spoken on hyperadrenergic POTS. What I have said is that beta-blockers can cause fatigue.

Maybe we are not on the same page here. Beta blockers block some effects of E and NE, but they do not block the release of NE. For that, the drugs you mention would be used (alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonists).

Still, blocking the release of NE can cause fatigue. This is because NE is activating, so blocking it's release will have the opposite effect. In your case where your NE is sky high, this can certainly cause fatigue as well, and bringing NE down to normal levels would be likely to help. But in general, blocking the release (or effects) of NE can cause fatigue.

soxfan

I have actually been reading a lot about hyperadrenergic pots as this is what I think my problem is. Someone on a Lyme site suggested I read up on this as they felt it sounded like me. I know exactly what you are talking about.
That is one of the reasons why I stopped taking the propranolol . I was tested for pots and definitely don't have it or OI either.

I am going to ask my doctor about clonodine at my next visit.