• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Project description of ME/CFS treatment with TNF-alpha inhibitor Etanercept (Enbrel®)

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Just a random layman question from the above post: My illness most likely started as a result of a flu vaccine I received. Of course GBS is an accepted possible complication of this vaccine (and the flu itself I believe). One of my doctors, Dr. Byron Hyde has long casually hypothesized that acute onset ME, perhaps especially those as a result of flu vaccine reactions, could be either a very low grade GBS. Or some other type of autoimmune reaction that affects the CNS rather than mostly the peripheral nervous system.

If any of this sounds at all possible, do you think that this type of ME would be more amenable to treatment or more resistant to it? How would molecular mimicry add to this? By treatments, I am referring to Rituximab, Enbrel, maybe even Ampligen.

I have a second question if you don't mind: My local GP who knows nothing of ME but is very sympathetic mentioned he could me Enbrel under my very mild psoriasis issues (in order for insurance to cover it). I was hesitant because I'm afraid of getting any worse from this med. But when I first got sick 4 years ago and up until 2 years ago my CRP was so low it was almost undetectable. But since then, I had once instance where it was above normal but then fell back to normal but still slightly higher than before. Also, my ESR began at 1 at the beginning of my illness and as of March 2014 at my last physical, it was at 14 (reference range 0-15). Do you think this information merits a trial of Enbrel?

I am not sure that I have a useful opinion on the first question. All sorts of things are possible. I tend to be sceptical about molecular mimicry because it does not make a lot of sense and apart from the acute GBS situation there seems no evidence for it.

Rituximab, enbrel and ampligen are all very dissimilar in action so I would not want to conclude anything about all of them together.

The experience with enbrel so far in ME seems to be disappointing. It has serious potential complications like disseminated TB so I would not encourage using it without some very good reason.

Thomas

The experience with enbrel so far in ME seems to be disappointing. It has serious potential complications like disseminated TB so I would not encourage using it without some very good reason
Thank you Prof. Edwards, I believe I will take your advice and pass on Enbrel for now. Do you or anyone reading this know if anyone in the RTX studies for ME had an onset following a vaccine? I wonder if this makes a difference to response to treatment or if the initial immune insult that triggered ME is less important than the actual illness, and the Norwegian study administrators are paying no attention to trigger of illness?

sillysocks84

Thank you Prof. Edwards, I believe I will take your advice and pass on Enbrel for now. Do you or anyone reading this know if anyone in the RTX studies for ME had an onset following a vaccine? I wonder if this makes a difference to response to treatment or if the initial immune insult that triggered ME is less important than the actual illness, and the Norwegian study administrators are paying no attention to trigger of illness?
I also, would like to know. My pwme started after a dtap vaccine.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Obinutuzimab has now been certified for leukemia in Norway. Might history repeat itself? But in a more potent matter?