• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

progesterone for sleep, anxiety etc, anyone??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have mentioned this in a few related topics related to this, but thought a topic on its own might get me more answers/experiences.

Progesterone therapy isnt just for women but also for men, for sleep it has the ability to improve gaba recptor senstivity which is our main sedating hormone require for sleep. Studies have shown increase in deep stage 4 sleep, growth hormone and general improvemnent in sleep. It also has the ability to help with anxiety.

progesterone also has an effect on adrenal fatigue and helping with increaseing cortisol levels and can also help with estrogen dominance my helping lower estrogen, this can the help increase insulin sensitivity and helping weightloss, cholesterol.

It seems to be a hormone that balances and tops up other hormones.

Now what Im are after is personal experience with transdermal pregnenolone cream and what doses used. Common male doses are 5-10mg, females 20mg.

cheers!!!

ukxmrv

When I took progesterone it was by injection or by pessary so cannot comment on transdermal pregnenolone cream. No beneficial changes to sleep, fatigue, cortisol (low), weightloss, cholesterol (low anyway), sleep or anxiety (which I don't have anyway). I'm female and pre-menopause.

Good luck with this.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
When I took progesterone it was by injection or by pessary so cannot comment on transdermal pregnenolone cream. No beneficial changes to sleep, fatigue, cortisol (low), weightloss, cholesterol (low anyway), sleep or anxiety (which I don't have anyway). I'm female and pre-menopause.

Good luck with this.
But i have heard hormonal creams are better absorbed in a slower more stable way. injections would greatly increase blood levels very rapidly and drop very rapidly.
How long did u use these injections for? Thanks for sharing your experience.

cheers!!!

SaraM

I was pain free for a month with using Progesterone cream, but it stopped working. It also had a calming effect which I did not like. I have also heard high estrogen causes pain ( I have estrogen dominance). I have always thought hormone is a major player in my case. Low dhea, low cortisol, low Ad hormone, high ACTH, normal thyroid hormone with thyroid nodules,large uterine fibroid because of too much estrogen, lots of vitamin deficiencies with liver problem ( low and out of range alkaline phosphates). My mom and 3 sisters all have CFS and FM. Both of my brothers in their 50's are healthy.

ukxmrv

For about 6 months, Heapsreal. Only for a week or two at a time. The progesterone pessaries for over a year (maybe two?). This was as part of treatment for mutliple miscarriages. At one time my progesterone levels dropped (they were normal before then).

john66

I have gone the hormonal route a little bit and have never tried progesterone. When I tried pregnenelone, I had a fast pulse short temper and sweated a lot. Same with testosterone. They both raised my blood pressure to unacceptable levels as well. DHEA seems to work better, for a few days but then after a few weeks, I noticed no difference at all. From what I have read in a forgotten source, it converts into estrogen too easily. I think the information at Dr. Chrissler's site is great, I just dont seem to respond in a normal way. The book by Dr. Sergey Dzugan (your Blood Doesnt Lie) is interesting, but I think the unknown components of CFS/viruses add a monkey wrench into the scenario. The one thing that I found very interesting in Dzugan's book was his explanation of hyperlipidemia. He has a few anecdotal reports of people on high dose preg/dhea that lowered lipids significantly. I suspect my CFS problems were exacerbated by Lipitor and all of the other statins. I'll never take them again. In one of my endless searches for a cure, I went to a homeopath in Colorado, who told me my cholesterol problem was caused by a virus. His cure didnt work, but I thought his line of thought was interesting. It also seems interesting to me that the antiretroviral drugs cause a rise in lipids as well. Dont mean to side track, it just seems there are lots of dots that need connecting. J

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Dr Dzugan is one of my doctors. He is amazing. I have his book also. I am in his program. Twice a year blood testing and lots of care anytime you need it.

Blood testing and doctors that know how much to give is key.

SaraM

Hi Sally,
Can you PM me about the costs of seeing Dr. Dzugan? I guess one can be in his program without seeing him in person. Is that so?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I will pm you. You are always in touch, by phone or email. They get back to you within a day or two. You have a place that is for you (you log in) on the site and you can update. They want you do. Then you can get the amounts of supplements correct as you find what works for you. You need a doctor to work with him though. The doctor would need to know about supplements and your problems. They work as a team. You do not see him in person. He does have an office in Ohio I believe. You can call and get lots of info an go to his site online. NICE people. Sally