1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Progesterone For Brain Repair in ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Cort, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Hormones to repair brain injuries. This caught my eye because I think it's progesterone that may have helped Marly Silverman so much. Interestingly one study found that progesterone metabolites were significantly increased in women with ME/CFS. (?)(Does this mean that progesterone levels were higher or that they were lower (because they were being broken down faster?)_.

http://www.endometriosiszone.org/print.asp?page=news_0401_progesterone

Progesterone as a neuroprotective factor in traumatic and ischemic brain injury.

All of the above in italics may be found in ME/CFS.

Could the high progesterone metabolites in ME/CFS be due to these repair processes being initiated. Could they signal damage has occurred?

2. Michael Dessin

Michael Dessin Senior Member

Ohio
    Progesterone

Interesting..my doc puts nearly all his ME/CFS patients on this, I even did for a few months...rubbed it on my stomach daily.

Mike
  3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Okay, am wondering something.

Back when I was trying to figure out what I had, I came across estrogen dominance. Now this is more of a menopausal thing right? But ... maybe there's some crossover?

My symptoms fit estrogen dominance, not enough progesterone to balance out the estrogen in my system. Symptoms I read were things like brain fog, parasthesia (numbness, etc.), weight gain, sleep disturbance I think, can't remember the rest, but it sounded like what I had going on.

I had my hormone levels tested and they came out normal. Of course, they used to change through the month back then, so I figure the tests told us nothing. But there was nothing to pursue any further then ...

My brain is no longer swift, so if there's anything significant in what I've written here, somebody'll have to tell me ... :)

One more thing. One treatment for estrogen dominance is to rub in some progesterone cream every day. Mike's post on that is what reminded me of all this.
  4. Michael Dessin

Ohio
    Estrogen

I have estrogen dominance, I'm a boy, is that supposed to happen?? :confused:

Looking for my dress right now..lol
  5. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Poor Mike,

Your problems run so much deeper than you knew.

About that dress, you could ask Frickly about a pretty number she just got for a wedding ... it has sleeves though ...
  6. Michael Dessin

Ohio
    Jody

Absolutely not, I only go sleeveless, my shoulders have beautiful curves..:D lol
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Mike,

That's true, I can see that in your picture. :)

Well then, Frickly's dress will not do.

You are on your own, my friend ... :D
  8. nina_online

nina_online

Austin, TX
    Estrogen dominance == low progesterone

Cort, Thanks for starting this thread. I am very interested in this topic. I am working on my Personal Story so I haven't posted one yet, but I'll mention in this thread that I had a severe CFS-crisis post-partum. It was called post-partum depression, but had such a sensory and neurological component that I see it as related to CFS.

A friend (non-CFS, but with adrenal fatigue and other imbalances) swears by progesterone (and cortisol). She went to the Hotze clinic in Houston and was diagnosed with estrogen dominance.

In reading up on it, my understanding it that progesterone is a precursor of cortisol. What I think may be happening is that since many of us have overstressed stress-response systems, too much of the progesterone is converted to cortisol. That leads to low progesterone, and the resulting estrogen-dominance.

When I read that, it made more sense to me, because I couldn't really wrap my mind around why so many people would have high estrogen (not that that is a nonsensical thought, given the hormone mimickers / endocrine disrupters in our environment). So my (limited, novice) understanding is that it's not that estrogen is necessarily high, but just that progesterone is lower that it should be to balance the estrogen. That would explain why a guy can have estrogen dominance.

What I didn't know until this thread is that progesterone has such an important protective role for the brain/CNS, including myelination. I just did a search on Yasko's CH3 forum and in Jan 2009 she posted a long list of study summaries all about that. (I can copy here if wanted, but it's long.)
  9. Michael Dessin

Ohio
    Nina

Can you just copy a few links?
  10. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    For the record, Mike Dessin does not have estrogen dominance.

We were ... :p goofing around.

I on the other hand may well have had estrogen dominance. In which case, thank God for menopause.:D

See more popular forum discussions.