• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Professor James Coyne commenting on poor British and Dutch fatigue research

Dolphin

This is insane (referring to the first minute of this video). Can anyone find something worthy of citation that provides evidence for what Coyne says about PDW being paid bounties for getting people off benefits without curing them?

This is way beyond 'normal' levels of CoI. Him stating that he has done 'voluntary and paid consultancy work for [DWP and Swiss Re]' (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/authors?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0040808) is, in my mind, in no way, shape or form enough to accurately convey what he was actually paid for if this is true.
Closest?
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2356683#9
The Chief Medical Officer for Scottish Provident who reviewed my claim for Scottish Provident was Prof Peter White who also heads the ME/CFS clinic at Barts. This clinic only 'treats' mild/moderate cases with - you've guessed it - CBT/GET. Even NICE doesn't recommend CBT/GET for the severely affected, yet that didn't stop PW advising my insurer that my claim should be refused until I undertook CBT/GET again.

Doesn't prove he got paid a bounty to advise the way he did though, just provides support for the notion that he is ignoring medical evidence in his practice and is therefore unfit to advise insurers/DWP.
Maybe someone who is in contact with Professor Coyne could ask him directly where he got that from and if it was possible to get something with some weight out into the public space?
I don't know if there is legal trouble with that though, it would probably depend on the documents in question. Maybe handing something over to David Tuller would be another option (apologies if I somehow missed him already having posted on this topic).