Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prof. R Virology.ws quotes Derek Lowe's blog

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by urbantravels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.virology.ws/2011/01/11/derek-lowe-on-how-science-gets-done/

I tried about seven or eight times to post my response, but the Disqus system ate it each and every time. (I sent a pleading email to the blog saying I was having this problem.) In the meantime, just to get it off my chest, here is what I wrote:

2. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Glad to report that Prof. R responded to my email almost right away and got the problem fixed, so that my comment is now appearing on the blog. Apparently my comments were getting hung up in the "spam" queue but he was able to fix the problem. What a guy!

I'd encourage anyone else who has had problems with the Disqus commenting system on the virology.ws blog to let Prof. R. know of the problem, he said he's only had a "few" complaints about Disqus, but I feel like I've heard more than a few complaints here and there.

3. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    Well said! And they wonder why patients are having trouble trusting some scientists. Simply showing your own study is contaminated is no evidence that anyone else's is.

I too had trouble posting on the blog so gave up. It looked like it had been submitted OK but just didnt appear later on.

4. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like you had the same problem I did, Megan. My comment kept showing up and then not being there when I came back to the page. Anyway, definitely email and let Prof. R know if it happens again.

5. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

Bravo, or should I say brava(?), Urbantravels! How articulate you are! I imagine these words were forged in the flame of a great deal of suffering, unfortunately. You do us all credit. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

:thumbsup:

6. guest

guest Guest

Urbantravels, thank you. Your comment is great and puts PWCs into a better light.

7. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    Thanks so much for that post, Urbantravels. It is really, really well done!:Sign Good Job:

8. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy

Essex, UK
    That's a very nice commentary Urban.

9. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you all. I just about gave myself a PEM yesterday trying to get that comment to actually show up - at the start of my multiple attempts to post, the entire first version got completely eaten by Disqus and I had to start over from scratch! (This time in Word so I'd have a copy.) But I was so touched that Prof. R. immediately responded to my email, fixed the problem, and encouraged me to get others to tell him if they had problems with the Disqus commenting system.

I also did finally get the comment through to the original source blog (Derek Lowe's "In the Pipeline") after several attempts. I think spam filters don't like comments, that include links or something. A pity for those of us that like to back up our statements!

10. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

I am encouraged Prof. R made an effort. I hope that he won't jump on the bandwagon so quickly next time. Thanks for your effort. I think we can make a difference with such postings.

11. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I've had lots of trouble with comments having links not show up, too. I did see your comment on Lowe's blog and loved it. Well done!

See more popular forum discussions.