Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prof Lipkin gets $1.9m philanthropic grant to study tick borne diseases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/pu...n-alexandra-cohen-foundation-study-tick-borne

leela, merylg, rosie26 and 24 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Yeah, cool, but his premise is skewed and, accordingly, more likely flawed (he seems to be assuming that Bb persistence post-treatment is not the issue). At the same time, sure, anyone familiar with TBD's can attest that you get bit by a tick and it will deposit more than one pathogen. Is anyone surprised at this hypothesis?

Maybe there is more than this snippet; I will read the entire release.

ETA, nothing I could see that undid my first impression.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Woot.

Bob and Comet like this.
  5. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Who is going to collect the ticks?

duncan likes this.
  6. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

:D :jaw-drop: :woot: :thumbsup:
    Seems to me that the more research there is by legitimate, respected researchers, the more researchers will jump on board with more research. We've had some fantastic news lately.

merylg, barbc56, helen1 and 4 others like this.
  7. msf

msf Senior Member

Yeah, you don´t have to be that well up on Lyme to be aware of Zhang´s persister studies. It´s good that money is finally going towards things like Chronic Lyme though.

Helen, merylg, Antares in NYC and 2 others like this.
  8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Lipkin has said his team does it in a field with a net! I think he's said he's done it personally!

He's given presentations in the past about his tick disease research and he seems very enthusiastic about it.

merylg, barbc56, Comet and 2 others like this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    @duncan, Lipkin's hypothesis is that multiple pathogens, other than Borrelia burgdorferi, might cause Lyme symptoms. So he thinks that Lyme patients whose treatment has been unsuccessful (i.e. they have unresolved symptoms) may have been hit with Borrelia burgdorferi, plus one or more other pathogens. (So they may have been hit with a pathogen other than Borrelia burgdorferi that didn't respond to antibiotics). And undiagnosed patients may have been hit with one or more unrecognised pathogens so they never got a diagnosis. Seems like a great approach to me. There might be other answers but he's doing it his way.

10. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Yes, yes, yes!

Bravo! About time!

[​IMG]

merylg, JAH, Comet and 1 other person like this.
  11. Antares in NYC

USA
    I remember that someone posted in another thread a presentation by Dr. Lipkin on some of his preliminary studies on ticks, and he mentioned that in addition to borrelia and co-infections, he also found a number of viruses including a variation of rabies. Rabies!
    Not sure I remember the type of tick that he studied, but it did caught my attention how many harmful pathogens he found. I'll see if I can find that video.

EDIT: they actually found a new rhabdovirus in that study: http://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-11-26

And here's the thread I was referring to: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/ian-lipkin-on-lyme.33610/

Helen, merylg, Comet and 1 other person like this.
  12. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

the issue may be exactly NOT be the tick-transfered pathogens but 'independent' ones. new or dormant.

for example sheep treated for flukes fell afterwards pray to lice.
    the previously changed immune system (by the flukes) and their rapid death may have paved ways for other parasites.
    perhaps this doesnt happen with everyone.

the same may happen after human parasite treatment.
    after a treatment, our immune system is still changed and again undergoing a rapid change.
    formerly suppressed pathogens may find splendid breeding grounds all of a sudden or attract new pals.

leela, merylg and barbc56 like this.
  13. duncan

duncan Senior Member

@Bob, yes, I understand.

I am all for more research into what pathogens ticks may harbor that can be conveyed to humans.

My point is that the concept that ticks transmit other pathogens that can mimic some Lyme symptoms is not new. Two such diseases that come to mind are bartonella and babesia.

Still, the more the merrier I suppose, so Lipkin's expertise and contributions can only benefit us all.

@roller, I agree that immune system changes and emerging pathogens and parasites all play a role.

@msf - I would wager he does not know about the three persister studies. If he does, well, he seems to be ignoring them. :)

Helen and Bob like this.
  14. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Go team Lipkin! :thumbsup:

merylg and Bob like this.
  15. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Please note:

We have removed a number of off-topic posts from this thread. Please avoid making off-topic comments.

Thank you. :):):)

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  16. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I wonder if Lipkin will be coordinating this effort with Columbia University's Lyme And Tick-Borne Disease Research Center....

17. Antares in NYC

USA
    That's Dr. Brian Fallon's department, isn't it?

18. duncan

duncan Senior Member

It sure is. Talk about potentially stepping on some toes.

See more popular forum discussions.