1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prof Julia Newton talk to medical & health professionals on autonomic dysfunction &fatigue in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Jun 12, 2014.

1. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I relate to the showering thing! For years I couldn't shower without having to go straight to bed afterwards. Florinef and verapamil (for tachycardia) changed that.

Treating symptoms can make a huge difference in quality of life for PWME. I'm afraid we have a very, very long wait before we find a root cause and then (maybe) a treatment for the cause. I probably won't be alive by then. ;) Even then, symptomatic treatments are still likely to be used. We know the cause of AIDS and there is antiretroviral treatment, but patients still take symptomatic treatments for some of the results of the infection.
    ballard likes this.
  2. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I'm ok with sponge baths and washing my hair in the kitchen sink for the time being. I'm housebound and I don't have the energy to pursue all avenues. Several years ago I saw a cardiologist at the local Internationally Renowned Academic Medical Center, but he was dismissive, although he acknowledged that "there was something going on". I also don't want to take any more drugs. Currently on five prescriptions and a bunch of OTC meds & supplements.
    SOC likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Minirin is a brand name for desmopressin. It works for polyuria of a central/neurogenic type, in which the urine is usually very dilute. It tends not to work (as well) for solute diuresis, in which the sufferer also loses solutes such as glucose (in diabetes mellitus) or minerals, including sodium/salt. The latter would explain why saline helps so much.

I have done a blogpost on solute diuresis in ME here.

I'm awaiting delivery of a couple of natural anti-inflammatories (resveratrol and curcumin) which I hope will help to combat this, and reduce PEM.

See more popular forum discussions.