• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

problems with potassium with b12 protocol

Al Klein

Blimey! what are we to do I dont know? I am going to have a good look at dietary potassium tomorrow - how much can I get from bananas dried fruit etc I do agree with those who said that mafnedium has helped, but transdermal magnesium (spray) rather than oral. I wonder if there is transdermal potassium?

For those using the salt - doesnt the sodium cause a problem with blood pressure?

girlfromeurope

I don't know what to do. Potassium foods don't seem to help.
too much sodium can cause high blood pressure but when you have adrenal problems you're low on sodium so adding a bit of sea salt will not cause problems

girlfromeurope

I don't think so
I think on my last test my tsh was 2.5
maybe it's a bit high I don't know
I think cutting back methylfolate is the best option
but I haven't had any for the last 5 days and still have low potassium symptoms

girlfromeurope

because I have the typical symptoms of low potassium
I feel drained, muscle twitching anxiety, it's difficult sometimes to move my arms, heart palpitations,..
I don't know what else it could be

Victronix

I was really terrified of taking potassium also, so it wasn't until I got to a really bad state and was on and off mfolate because I couldn't deal with potassium sink, before I tried it.

Finally I forced myself to try potassium gluconate (1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg mixed in water, taken with 1/2 a banana, you need to have food with it), and it was a life saver. Now I take it about 5x a day, plus 1-2x at night. I've been doing that for more than 6 months and so far so good, although I wish I didn't have to. Unfortunately, I do.

Since I started mfolate, some of my thyroid levels have improved better than ever in my life (T3) and I'm generally feeling good and with energy, although I *really* have to stay on top of the potassium need or that mess everything up. Mfolate can be extremely difficult to handle for some. I'm one of those. So it took me nearly a year to work my way up to taking one full 400 dose. I would take a tiny amt and then stay at that level for at least 2 weeks, which is how long it takes, at a minimum, for me to adapt to. Then, move on, increase another tiny amt.

Taking potassium is scary at first, but food potassium doesn't do it. I always have a stack of bananas around and always have a 1/2 a one whenever I take potassium (powder mixed in 8 oz of water). Granted, we are all experimenting with our bodies. But most of us have no choice, or little choice.

BTW, with B-12 I was able to take it and work through the start-up symptoms over a period of months and never took potassium. With mfolate, it would have been almost impossible without potassium, and the need for it does NOT go away over time, although it appears to diminish some. I've only heard of one person who "didn't need it anymore" while taking mfolate. Others could get away with not taking potassium for a couple of days, but that's it.

Good luck!

Violeta

So its only the mfolate that drives the need for potassium? Isnt that because without mfolate the B12 just isnt doing its job?

That makes sense. I was just thinking that potassium's job is inside the cell for the kreb's cycle. So you would start to come up with a noticable deficiency when you start to get your metabolism moving. So the methylfolate must be getting the job done. Also needed if that is the case is adequate glucose. Glucose is what is used for the production of energy. If you feel as though you are having low blood sugar, maybe it would be good to take some glucose with the potassium. Someone did say you should take it with food.

girlfromeurope

I was told that the potassium deficiency is from making new blood cells and other cells
But I will take your advice and add some sugar as I have low blood sugar sometimes

Indigophoton

high anxiety, drained feeling, palpitations, muscle spasms, insomnia,...
But I don't find great relief with supplements and foods high in potassium don't help at all. I'm scared to overdo potassium as I have adrenal fatigue, so high potassium can be a problem.

Just to observe, all these are also symptoms of low magnesium.

I also have adrenal fatigue, and experienced weakness, palpitations, drained feelings, and other symptoms, on re-starting methylation. I was also wary about potassium, but gave it a try, twice. Each time, doses of more than 100mg made things much worse. The answer proved to be no potassium supplements, but extra magnesium. It may not be the same for you, but thought it was worth mentioning, just in case.

Regarding aldosterone, amino acids can make a big difference. I have been able to cut my sea salt intake by 2/3 because my blood pressure, orthostatic issues etc are much improved.

Indigophoton

add some sugar as I have low blood sugar sometimes

Sugar will make you feel better temporarily but will make hypoglycemia worse in the long run. It will also stress your adrenals. More protein would better support both your blood sugar and your adrenals.

Chromium can also help stabilize blood sugar.

The book Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson has some good info.