1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Problems with Histamine-releasing Foods

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Gandalf, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf

Germany
    Do any of you have problems with histamine-realeasing foods?
    If you lack SAMe, your HNMT won't be able to get rid of histamine, resulting in elevated levels intracellularly. Eating these foods will set it free at once, potentially causing symptoms.

The symptoms I had each time I consumed:
    - insomnia (I couldn't sleep for one second)
    - massive brain fog
    - weakness
    - others

This should be a good indication for everyone to see if they have enough SAMe.

I ate Pumkin seeds today (the worst). Let's see if I can sleep tonight... I'm taking 5-MTHF and am feeling like a million $ since 2 weeks alrdy.

I see so few threads concerning this topic even though it is very important imo.
    SickOfSickness likes this.
  2. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Very interesting. According to an article I just read on histamine containing foods, histamine is metabolized by enzymes called "amine oxidases". One article specifically mentioned diamine oxidase (aka histaminase). Does anyone know anything about histaminase/diamine oxidase (DAO) SNPs?
  3. Gandalf

Gandalf

Germany
    theres 2 pathways for histamin. the one you are refeferring to is used especially in your gut.
  4. Gloria H

Gloria H

South Dakota
    I'd like to know more about this.
    So pumpkin seeds are high in histamine? Anybody got a list of high histamine foods or a link to a list?

I've had good relief from histamine itch by taking extra metafolin.

Blessings to you
  5. Gandalf

Gandalf

Germany
    rosie26 likes this.
  6. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Yeah, no pumpkin pie for me this week! For the most part I'm following a histamine and tyramine restricted diet from the Canadian Mastocytosis Society (see low histamine diet link in my signature). Since starting it, I've had a nine month plateau of being fairly functional. I'm still disabled, but am at least able to count on having a certain amount of energy every day and have been catching up on a bunch of projects around the house.

I'm doing this for suspected mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) rather than for methylation issues, not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. A dermatologist gave me a clinical diagnosis of TMEP mastocytosis last fall, but my tryptase test was normal pointing to MCAS rather than Mastocytosis. I see a number of former CFS and Fibro patients, like myself, on masto boards.
  7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi Gandalf. I have histamine intolerance. I'd just been meaning to go back to reading Yasko, to try to trace this back to its origins. V interesting to read that MAO is central: it's my only homozygous defect. In your research, does there seem to be a way of actually correcting it? I'm using Yasko's RNA formula for MAO, more for the behavioural implications. but it seems like it's a good idea for this reason as well. The GAPS diet folk seem to believe that once the gut is healed, the histamines aren't a problem. I'm 2 years into that protocol, with no decrease in my intolerance. but I've added in a lot of things to manage it.

Re more posts, there's another forum on MCAD, Masto issues. You might find more histamine posts there. cheers, ahmo
  8. Gandalf

Gandalf

Germany
    I was initially not talking about MAO. I intended to talk about HNMT pathway. But ofc I can help you.

To increase speed of a reaction you can do many things:
    optimaze temp.
    increase the enzyme ( MAO )
    increase the "starting substance" (in this case Histamine + Water + Oxygen)
    decrease end products of the reaction (ammonia + Hydrogen peroxide + aldehyde)

So I think your best bet might be NAC for hydrogen peroxide.
    Glutamic acid for ammonia.

But these are just my thoughts. I do not know if it would actually work.
  9. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Thanks Gandalf. I've got a pretty effective regimen for dealing with and lessening reactions. Just intrigued to see the MAO connection. cheers, ahmo

See more popular forum discussions.