1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

problem to swallow

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Tuha, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Tuha

Tuha Senior Member

Hi,

I would like to ask you if you have an advice for me :) and if you have similar problems :-(
    The last months I have problems to swallow especially big pills and some kind of difficult food. I have also dry mouth (I was examinated for Sjoegrens syndrom but it came back negative) but I suspect that´s because of muscle weakness because I feel muscle weakness already for a long time.
    Do you have similar problems and have you any advice how to solve or improve this problem

rosie26 and Delia like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    This might come across as weird advice but I too have had swallowing issues. I'm not sure they are the same kind, I will take a sip of water and then realise it's still in my mouth unswallowed 20 seconds later.
    I suggest that you consciously practice swallowing with nothing in your mouth to train the muscles to respond.
    The beauty of this suggestion is that it's easy, free and doesn't require any props, tools, meds etc.

rosie26 and Delia like this.
  3. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Where does the food get stuck? If it's below the level of the throat you should look into Eosinophilic Esophagitis and/or achalasia. Those are in addition to the motility disorder that Snowdrop refers to.

4. tckats

tckats

I developed difficulty in swallowing and found it very scary. Sometime the food would just sit in my mouth and I would wait for the initiation of the swallow. Other times my throat was dry and I neede water to get it down. Here is my hypothesis....Muscle spasms and tightness. If I stretch my neck I will get brief relief. At the same time I have noticed muscle tightness all over my body to varying degree. This along with the dryness has gone along with my need to detox especially when I eat certain foods. I have had great sucess with cleaning up my diet. I no longer eat dairy, grains, and sugar. It sucks! But I feel much better. Plus I lost 40lbs. Also, I take magnesium to bowel tolerance twice a day and recently added potassium. When taken at a high enough dose I will get a whole body relaxation.
    Good luck

5. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Sometimes if you don't have enough saliva, you can't chew hard/dry/tough food well enough for your body to feel happy to swallow the mouthful. Large tablets do the same thing - your brain says no! Adding liquid to your mouthful of food as sauce can help with chewing the food enough. Small mouthfuls. And perhaps avoiding really difficult foods.

With tablets, I make sure I have had a sip or two of fluid first, then take the tablet plus a large mouthful of fluid, line up the tablet in the right direction and try to swallow the whole lot in one go.
    If you find you cough or choke, that won't work. Some people find that taking tablets with a spoonful of yoghurt or fruit purée is easier, as the thicker smooth consistency coats the tablet.

If you are still concerned, you could ask your doctor to refer you to a Speech Language Pathologist/Therapist, as they are trained to assess and manage swallowing problems, and may have some good advice and therapy.

6. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi Tuha,
    Those who have tumour(s?) from hyperparathyroidism(see www.parathyroid.com) will have swallowing problems as I had before I had the adenoma(tumour)removed.I still have some swallowing problems especially with large tablets.

See more popular forum discussions.