• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics

Which do you take? (or pre-biotics) Any preference over a particular strain or culture?

I just bought some Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria (Bifidus Balance) both were refrigerated, as these two were pretty popular in my grocery.
Thanks!

Off topic but my vitamin D 25 hydroxy total use to be 12 when normal was 30-80 ng/mL
and now .....25-OH Vit D Total=122!

reference ranges:
<21 ng/mL Deficient
21-29 ng/mL Insufficient
30-80 ng/mL Optimal
>80 ng/mL Possible Toxicity

Also I was taking 20,000-25,000 IU Vit D3 daily

suzanne

My dr reckons it is important to get a probiotic with lactobacillus rhamnosus.

Also important to take saccharomyces cerevisiae (boulardi) if you have got candida problems as it crowds out the yeast.

searcher

I have had good luck with Align, which is Bifidus infantis. It also has some good research behind it.
20-25K a day of Vitamin D is a lot- I think the recommended maximum you should take daily is 4-5K IU (once your levels get down to optimal.)

Waverunner

Off topic but my vitamin D 25 hydroxy total use to be 12 when normal was 30-80 ng/mL
and now .....25-OH Vit D Total=122!

reference ranges:
<21 ng/mL Deficient
21-29 ng/mL Insufficient
30-80 ng/mL Optimal
>80 ng/mL Possible Toxicity

Also I was taking 20,000-25,000 IU Vit D3 daily

:D Honestly, stop taking so much Vitamin D. While the body can downregulate how much Vitamin D it uses from sun exposure this is hardly possible from supplements. 25,000 per day is too much. While Vitamin D definitively is important, too much is detrimental. 20,000 IU per week should be enough.

Nielk

The first good step you took was to get it from the refrigerator section since I was told recently that those are much more efficient because they are live.
This is a very difficult thing to advise because we all are different and our bodies react differently.
I was recently on antibiotics and steroids. A practitioner advised me on rebuilding my gut as follows:

1- take Bio-K plus (which come in individual little bottles and you drink it) for 5 nights before bed
2- Jarro-Dophilus from Jarrow: 2 in the morning and 2 after supper
3-Saccharomyces Boulardii+Mos from Jarro: 1 at night

I can't tell you yet if this is working. I'm just wondering out loud, how can one really tell because you don't know how you would have felt without it.
Nevertheless, this is what was recommended for me.

Here is what i'm currently taking. Are you familiar with these? What else should i include?
SANY0020.jpg

GhostGum

Have used Garden of Life primal defense ultra for years now on and off and always found it helpful. In the past 6 months have also started using more and more spirulina and a spirulina chlorella barley mix, mostly straight spirulina though, like 80%, all is very good for gut health.

Around the time I started using spirulina actually my improvements seemed to become much more steady and is also around the time I started going for walks, after about 9 years; but I had been making slow progress for a couple of years along with taking many other supplements so it could be coincidental.

*GG*

:D Honestly, stop taking so much Vitamin D. While the body can downregulate how much Vitamin D it uses from sun exposure this is hardly possible from supplements. 25,000 per day is too much. While Vitamin D definitively is important, too much is detrimental. 20,000 IU per week should be enough.

I don't agree. I take about 10,000/day and have my blood levels checked regularly and my levels are under 70 to 80!

GG

PS Is it really known "this is hardly possible from supplements". I read a lot on Vitamin D, and have not read that. I wonder if it is known?