• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics: using fermented foods instead of (or in addition to) supplements

Aileen

Who is using fermented foods such as kefir, kombucha, fermented vegetables as a source of probiotics?

I recently started eating a tiny bit of kefir each day and seem to be tolerating it. Since I am unable to cook food (cannot tolerate the smell due to my mcs) I wonder if fermented vegetables might be an alternative.
As they would have some bacteria that would help digest them, maybe I'd tolerate them better than raw?

TigerLilea

I've recently got back into the habit of drinking 12 oz of homemade kefir most days. I'm going grocery shopping next week to load up on fermented foods as I've recently read that they can help with CFS symptoms.

Martial

I used to drink a lot of goat milk kefir, I then heard it has some undesirable things in it so just stuck with probiotics. I think it was something about causing candida issues/flares. If that isn't an issue for someone it is much desired though.

Hanna

recently I have been trying to introduce some sauerkraut once a day (along with protein rich food) in order to help with protein digestion. So far so good. Hubby swears by it (he has been doing this for a several months now) and see definitely improvement in digestion.

Aileen

how exactly does one go about fermenting vegetables anyway. I would need a method that is:
1. simple
2. does not produce an odour
is there such a thing?

ukxmrv

I tried Kefir for 6 months but didn't notice any better effects on my stomach. Hated the taste of it so gave up. Sauerkraut I love but my stomach cannot handle it sadly.

ukxmrv

Aileen, I did try adding things to the kefir ( like fruit) but it was still too strong for me. Would have persevered happily if it had done me any good but sadly nothing happened.

Aileen

sorry it didn't help ukxmrv. I don't know how the rest of you feel, but currently I feel like I'm in a dark room constantly bumping into the furniture while trying to find the way out. :(

TigerLilea

I used to drink a lot of goat milk kefir, I then heard it has some undesirable things in it so just stuck with probiotics. I think it was something about causing candida issues/flares. If that isn't an issue for someone it is much desired though.

Kefir should have the opposite effect on candida. There are a couple of yeasts found in Kefir that help to keep the candida yeast from over populating and to stay within a healthy range.

TigerLilea

I tried Kefir for 6 months but didn't notice any better effects on my stomach. Hated the taste of it so gave up. Sauerkraut I love but my stomach cannot handle it sadly.

Were you making Kefir from live grains or were you using store bought Kefir or making it from a powder starter? Only the Kefir made from live grains is of any true nutritional value.

IreneF

I consume kefir, miso, and natto.

I like to blend kefir with a cucumber. Sometimes I add mint. It needs a lot of salt.

I use miso as a sort of convenience food. I'll have a bowl or two of miso soup each day.

I also eat natto when I can get it. It helps to regulate the gut's immune response and it has lots of vitamin K, which has recently been shown to help prevent osteoporosis. It's especially helpful for diarrhea. The big downside is that it tastes and smells like fermented socks. I got used to it fairly quickly, but my family still objects to the odor.

I prefer to consume probiotics in the form of food because I know what I'm getting and I know the cultures are alive. I read some analyses of probiotics that showed that they didn't contain what they claimed. I also like them, and they are nutritious and convenient.

BTW, if you get sauerkraut, make sure it's naturally fermented.

I keep preserved or crystallized ginger around. It really helps nausea.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am a big fan of crystallized ginger and ginger tea. Unfortunately, I have been needing them more lately. :vomit:

IreneF

I am a big fan of crystallized ginger and ginger tea. Unfortunately, I have been needing them more lately. :vomit:
Trader Joe's stopped carrying crystallized ginger because it contains lead. How could ginger and sugar contain lead? I haven't found anything as effective that's available locally.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
One or both might have taken it up from the soil. In the days of leaded gasoline, some soil became contaminated with lead for engine exhaust.

Martial

@Martial

Can you be a little more specific regarding "the undesirable things" in Goat Kefir?

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/FERMENTS.htm

That is only one article or information though, and a single opinion, if you find it helps and works for you I say go for it. To be honest I don't notice a difference when I was on or off of it. I never really had too bad of gut dysbiosis though. Perhaps that is just my personal feeling and I am wrong, its not like I can look inside my own gut after all. nevertheless my current diet, probiotics, and some supplements work to heal the gut regardless.

I love your Signature by the way. I have been following Eckharts teachings for years now, currently having Adyashanti as my teacher. It would be wise to always keep truth in the forefront of values.

Christopher

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/FERMENTS.htm

That is only one article or information though, and a single opinion, if you find it helps and works for you I say go for it. To be honest I don't notice a difference when I was on or off of it. I never really had too bad of gut dysbiosis though. Perhaps that is just my personal feeling and I am wrong, its not like I can look inside my own gut after all. nevertheless my current diet, probiotics, and some supplements work to heal the gut regardless.

I love your Signature by the way. I have been following Eckharts teachings for years now, currently having Adyashanti as my teacher. It would be wise to always keep truth in the forefront of values.

What are you doing for your gut Martial?

ukxmrv

Were you making Kefir from live grains or were you using store bought Kefir or making it from a powder starter? Only the Kefir made from live grains is of any true nutritional value.

Kefir from lives grains and sadly for me there were no benefits

Mij

@Aileen I've been eating kefir, kimchi and organic unpasteurized sauerkraut for 10+ years. It does aid the gut as far as normal bm, but I can't say if it helps colonize good bacteria. I don't feel any better from eating it.

I recently started taking PepZin GI and digestive enzymes and the only thing I can say about it is that I have a lot more colour in my face now. I'm hoping this is a sign that my gut is balancing out.

You can read about PepZin GI here. It's interesting stuff.
http://pepzingi.com/