• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics not showing up on stool test.

Hello all...
I had taken a probiotic for some time.. (18 montns) and had a number of Metametrix CDSA tests done. My levels of Lacto and Bifido bacteria tested very low, despite regular use of the probiotics.

I recently changed brands, was retested, and now show much much higher lacto and bifido levels.

This puzzles me, since I thought both probiotics were beneficial in terms of gut symptoms.

Is it possible the CDSA missed the particular strains from the first probiotic? Would any strain of lactobacillus show up ? or are they looking only for very specific strains on the test?

Is a CDSA a reliable indicator of beneficial bacteria status?

Any feedback regarding Probiotics and stool testing would be appreciated.

Viking

PDXhausted

Good question, to which I don't know the answer. I was under the impression CDSA (the old Genova test, correct?) used culturing to find strains.

I am curious though which brand of probiotics you used before and after?

The tests were Metametrix 2100 CDSAs. the test literature says it uses a DNA analysis to identify strains.
the first probitoic was a store brand, the newer one was Repleniss... I gather Repleniss is a human strain probiotic, or so I was told by the doc who prescribed it.

Last edited:

Tammy

Sorry..............your message is kind of confusing to me. (my brain I'm sure) Did your test results actually identify different strains of lacto and bifido.............or do they just indicate that you are low in general in lacto and bifido?

Last edited:

Tammy

According to the sample report spp means multiple species but does not identify the strains so I don't know how to answer your question.............either way it sounds like you found a better quality probiotic.

snowathlete

I'm not that familiar with the Metametrix CDSA test but my gut test with uBiome doesn't assign everything correctly yet. Quite a new company but basically there is a lot missing because their database for assigning bacteria to genus isn't completely representative. Perhaps the same here and it couldn't ID the first strain but could the second? You'd thing they'd be very close though even different strains so..?

Good catch! I had not noticed that in the report before. Thanks Tammy!

Has anyone else had before and after testing done with probiotics?

Snow, I had wondered that myself.. if somehow they could not identity or classify all strains. The first probiotic , which did not seem to show up on the test, was an 8 strain mix though... all of which seem to be common strains.

would the first probiotics brand included FOS as stated on Repleniss bottle? did you change something in your diet/ regimen? did you took anything that help adrenals or mucosa? maybe the one on the shop had shorter life? just ideas...

and yes sometimes tests are not reliable they miss or add some depending also on the time or techniqe etc...
I tested two labs in a similar period - one showed ZERO beneficial / the other one +2. One showed +1 clostridia the other showed +3. :(

Last edited:
Instead of focusing on the tests, I'd look closer at the probiotics you took. Their potency, quality.

You didn't even tell us exactly what products you used, at what dosage, and their amount of CFUs. Probiotic brands differ a lot in quality, and many of them might have most of the bacteria already dead when you take them.

You expect a store brand to work well? Store brands are usually the lowest quality products made in a way primarily to keep them cheap (cheap to manufacture). With fragile organisms it matters a lot. It might not matter for a generic product like ascorbic acid or glutamine.

Mij

Or it could be an indication of a parasitic or bacterial infection. I too showed 0 Lacto on my CDSA after taking many expensive probiotics for years. I later found out I had h.pylori. I do better on fermented foods and a particular zinc product to improve gut flora.