• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics and Methylation

undcvr

How do I get rid of that post by prioris ? No offense but now pple who google the phrase 'octopus bush' will be shown a link to this thread. It's the grossest sounding thing I have heard of in awhile. I mean really ... they cudnt come up with a better name ?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
undcvr, my diarrhea started when I took Activia and stopped when I stopped the Activia. Isn’t there some fine print that says it decreases intestinal transit time? My transit time is on the short side and does not need to be decreased.

What are EPS capsules? Where do you get them? You can make yogurt form raw milk. You just have to scald it first.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
undcvr Indeed, my genetic results show that I have several homozigous mutations in the CYP enzymes (phase one and two). How do you know your status i.e. slow phase two-fast phase one? Even with these tests I am still lost because I dont know if they are up or downregulations. What I know is that Resveratrol have shown in studies to lower phase one enzymes activity and boost phase two enzymes activity.

You should ask prioris to edit it, that would do it.

Sea

How do I get rid of that post by prioris ? No offense but now pple who google the phrase 'octopus bush' will be shown a link to this thread. It's the grossest sounding thing I have heard of in awhile. I mean really ... they cudnt come up with a better name ?

Actually I couldn't resist and googled it - no link to here in the first 3 pages of google options (I didn't look any further). I can see where it gets its name from, the branches look just like tentacles, not gross at all.

undcvr

Last nite I dreamt of a bush with tentacles coming out of it and trying to choke me. Just saying :)

undcvr

undcvr, my diarrhea started when I took Activia and stopped when I stopped the Activia. Isn’t there some fine print that says it decreases intestinal transit time? My transit time is on the short side and does not need to be decreased.

What are EPS capsules? Where do you get them? You can make yogurt form raw milk. You just have to scald it first.

It's just that your reaction to it sounds very much like a homeopathic response. When the body responds exaggeratedly to a very small amount of something that it actually really needs. I mean: you drink one bottle of it, it is not beyond the expiration date, it is not contaminated, you should not have diarrhea from it. It is a very rare if not unheard of response to one bottle of it and the B strain in there a sub species of a strain that is actually indigenous to human gut flora. So it means u already have a very weak gut system/flora to start with. And how do you know that your gut transit time is fast in the first place ? Do you actually look at your stools to see what comes out ? If you do then the only way you would be able to tell is if you see undigested intact pieces of say lunch or breakfast. This would also mean that you are having trouble digesting food and the probiotics are supposed to help that. Shudnt u be taking a stomach acid supplement if this is your issue too ?

The detox reaction of diarrhea is very real to pple with CFS and at times it can be very hard to tell if it really is a detox or something that upsets the gut. The biggest clue is if it is something that is generally supposed to help pple with CFS and turns out to have a completely opposite effect. I have experienced it several times myself and against medical advise and on a hunch I would start to ride out these detoxs just to see what happens at the end of it. My rationale was it it could not possibly go on forever rite ? My record is 3-4 weeks and it was with Green Tea extract 50% EGCG caffeine-free. For almost 4 weeks I would feel like I was a rocket about to launch to the moon, I prob had like a 5m radius from the bathroom. I was constantly mistaking farts for sharts. (Side: A shart is a fart + shit so you get the picture. It was first mentioned in an episode of South Park season 16 "I should never have gone ziplining" but it has probably existed in the urban dictionary long b4 that. End of Side). Yes I tossed out many undergarments. (I have come up with a name for the color, effervescent shitstain. It is very similar to the color evening sunset but think a darker tone).
My point is that one day it finally stopped and taking that same supplement never really caused that same reaction again, same bottle same batch of products. What was also interesting is that I never really lost all that much weight going through it. It is not uncommon for pple from old world cultures to actually induce a detox willingly every month or so.

undcvr

undcvr Indeed, my genetic results show that I have several homozigous mutations in the CYP enzymes (phase one and two). How do you know your status i.e. slow phase two-fast phase one? Even with these tests I am still lost because I dont know if they are up or downregulations. What I know is that Resveratrol have shown in studies to lower phase one enzymes activity and boost phase two enzymes activity.

You should ask prioris to edit it, that would do it.

I learned thru trial and error how to identify if my liver phase 2 was being sped up or down. U can generally safely assume that stress will speed it up and slow down phase 2. And if drinking a few glasses of grapefruit juice or taking a bioflavanoid supplement with narigenin in it helps u then you can be sure that ur phase 1 is out of whack.

You can also check this by exposing yourself to a small amount of perfume fragrance or caffeine. If it affects you then your phase one has actually SLOWED.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
And if drinking a few glasses of grapefruit juice or taking a bioflavanoid supplement with narigenin in it helps u then you can be sure that ur phase 1 is out of whack
Out of whack too fast or too slow?

I do know my transit time by observing the content of my stools. I do not digest things like corn kernel skins and blackberry seeds even though I do take a digestive supplement - stomach acid and digestive enzymes.

I had some trouble with regular yogurt, but can now handle it and kefir. The Activia was just too much. I have responsibilities for myself and to my parents and cannot spend days unable to leave the vicinity of my bathroom.

undcvr

If you drink grapefruit/narigenin and it helps then your phase 1 is too fast and your phase 2 has slowed.
If you are sensitive to aromatherapy and perfumes or fragrances, or exhaust fumes then your phase 1 has slowed down. It's not a fixed state and can change from one week to the next depening on the stressor and how long you have had CFS.

Regarding your gut, you might want to try taking 5 gm of glutamine a day and then moving up from there if it helps, You might also like to try Histame or anything that has DAO in it.

I've been at that same stage b4 as u btw, when I just was not digesting anything. Coincidentally I was also not able to tolerate probiotics that were supposed to be good for me.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
There are actually genetic polymorphisms that make you have a slower or quicker phase one or two, and that is permanent. I am just trying to discover if my multiple mutations in the first phase are down or up regulations, although my livelong sensivity to strong/toxic odours should be a hint. I think I have a SLOWER phase one, but not sure. Drinking juiced oranges with the peel (so plenty of naringenin) makes me feel slightly drunk, very strange. In case of a slower phase one, DIM would be a good idea. Resveratrol boosts phase two and slowes down phase one.

Either Genova or 23andme carry these tests for CYP mutations.

So lets get one thing clear. undcvr You are saying that making yogurt with EPS capsules has healed your fatigue and depression? Because that is quite awesome.

undcvr

Yes u have a Slower phase one, the narigenin will deactive alot of the phase 1 Cytochrome enzymes.
I did not say that EPS yogurt healed me at all, I am saying that B strain yogurts have helped me a lot way out of my fatigue and depression. In fact I have not have either in a long time but I am on other things as well.