• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic - Streptococcus thermophilus - restores my gut flora to normal - helps irritable bowel

Bob

Streptococcus thermophilus

We're all different and this info may not help other people, but I thought that I ought to share this anecdotal info in case it might help some others.

...warning - expect descriptions of the digestion process ahead...

Sometimes i get what i think may be an irritable-bowel-type syndrome, where my 'stool' changes colour and consistency.

It changes from a regular stool into something that has a light colour and looks simply like undigested mushed food. I often get it after a common viral infection.

When i get this change in my gut, i also experience significant and persistent accompanying fatigue (including cognitive fatigue and depressive symptoms) that is separate/additional to my usual CFS/ME symptoms.

By trial and error i've found that only one probiotic strain seems to replenish my usual gut flora, and (immediately) returns my stool to normal consistency and colour. And the accompanying fatigue disappears immediately.

Streptococcus thermophilus is the probiotic strain that sorts out my gut problems. I don't get any particular brand of probiotics - Just anything of good quality that contains Streptococcus thermophilus. (The supplements that I get always contain a mix of some other common probiotics as well.)

Last edited:

snowathlete

Thanks bob, that's interesting. I've added this to my list of potentials in my quest to improve my gut health.

Bob

What dosage worked for you?
I only seem to need a minimal dosage.
So the dosage doesn't seem to make any difference to me personally.
I just use any probiotic supplements that includes Streptococcus thermophilus.

I've successfully used the following brands: Source Naturals, Solgar, Udo's Choice, and some others.