When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pro Athlete Lumps Cancer, AIDS And ME In Same Category On TV

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Never Give Up, May 10, 2017.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

ahimsa, Apple, L'engle and 25 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Very nice. I wonder if he knows someone with ME?

ahimsa, L'engle, Valentijn and 8 others like this.
  3. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

:thumbsup: I'm very impressed!

Jennifer J and Never Give Up like this.
  4. Mohawk1995

Mohawk1995 Senior Member

Comparing Clinical Depression with being sad about your circumstances is like comparing ME to being tired after a busy day at work. Being sad about your circumstances is not Clinical Depression especially if your circumstances warrant it. Being tired after a day at work is not like ME because you should be tired after a day at work.

So sometimes people link the very real Clinical Depression with ME. They are both legitimate diseases and of course someone could have both, but they are not the same. People with Depression will fail to even initiate an activity but if you can get them to initiate they will likely complete or do a good bit of it. Those with ME will attempt the activity, usually not be able to complete it and then crash for several days. Different clinical presentations.

5. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

There's been at least one or more footballers who've come down with ME, so maybe that's the reason.

TiredSam likes this.
  6. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I got CFS at age 12, and have been very significantly disabled for several decades.

If, as a 12 year-old (with current medicine) I was to have gotten HIV, I would have faced a possibly few months to a year period of various illnesses, until I hit on one of the signature presentations of AIDS, and got treatment, having (in the most part) an otherwise unlimited life.
    If I had gotten many cancers at the same age, the prognosis in terms of how much of my active life would be taken away on average would be less.

7. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member

UK
    Good man Stan! I think you hit the nail on the head there mate.

ahimsa and Never Give Up like this.
  8. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

He wasn't making a direct comparison between depression and the other illnesses. He was pointing out that no one would ever make the assumption that someone who is wealthy can not get cancer, AIDS, ME, etc because of their wealth so why would someone assume a wealthy person can not get depression which is also a physical illness like cancer, AIDS, and ME.

ahimsa, Apple, anniekim and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.