May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prions Increasingly Implicated in Neurodegenerative Diseases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leokitten, Sep 1, 2015.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    Big science news this week, Stanley Prusiner's lab at UCSF (he won Nobel prize 1997 for discovery of prions) just published two big papers.

First the discovery of α-synuclein prions and that they cause multiple system atrophy (MSA):

Evidence for α-synuclein prions causing multiple system atrophy in humans with parkinsonism

Second just like BSE ("mad cow") and CJD it seems that MSA is potentially transmissible:

Propagation of prions causing synucleinopathies in cultured cells

His lab is finding evidence that different prions cause neurodegenerative diseases such as progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and even Parkinson's disease (PD).

Additional info here:
    New Type of Prion May Cause, Transmit Neurodegeneration

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Valentijn, merylg, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Dr de Meirleir also thinks that aberrant prions play a role in ME/CFS, especially in the severe cases.

Valentijn and alkt like this.
  3. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

It passed through my mind in my severe years. The feeling in the body and legs. Especially, the legs.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    alkt likes this.
  4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

A misfolded protein is not a prion if it is not infectious.

Valentijn and alex3619 like this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Valentijn, rosie26 and alkt like this.
  6. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    isn't prions one of the proteins that is a part of mad cow disease?

alkt likes this.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Yes,THE protein.

alkt and rosie26 like this.
  8. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    is there not enough medically scary things going on without giving people with severe cognative disfunction nightmares. have to say it is interesting though .what other prions might turn up in our food chain .thanks to the food industries never ceasing demand for greater profits .

9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

With all the measures taken food is less risky for TSE infection then medical treatments.

alkt likes this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Misfolded proteins are normal. They occur all the time. We have mechanisms to remove them. What makes prions dangerous is they interact with differently folded versions of the same protein and refold them. In other words, its like cloning. They make more of themselves. If that prion protein is difficult to degrade for some reason then it can accumulate. So you get an increase in useless protein in that tissue type where it is expressed, and a deficiency of the properly working protein. An analogy is cholesterol and lesions clogging an artery and stopping blood to the heart, but a prion stops the working machinery of the cell from doing its job. The cell can stop working, and even die, releasing the prions to the surrounding tissue. The cell might also be killed by the immune response, but this might just release the prions.

I expect to see oodles of misfolded proteins in ME. This can occur simply by high oxidative stress. Reduced glutathione is necessary for proper protein folding. Whether they replicate is an entirely different story.

By implication, though we have found a prion responsible for at least two neurodegenerative disorders (which might really be one disorder but labelled badly) , its likely there are prions that affect other tissue types that await discovery.

merylg, rosie26, alkt and 3 others like this.
  11. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

TSE prions are found in almost every tissue.

alkt likes this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    My understanding is that the protein distribution is ubiquitous, but that the prion is only found in detectable levels in the brain. This might be because the levels are just too low elsewhere, or I have not read enough, or that the brain lacks sufficient capacity to remove these prions.

13. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I think you are running behind. Science evolves. Now they can even be found in nose mucosa, eye lids and the rectum.

Tests are not yet sensitive enough to find cariiers that way but they are working hard on it.

See more popular forum discussions.