• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - cytokines, fatigue and quality of life

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
In the context of Julia Newton's ongoing comparative research on fatigue and autonomic dysfunction in PBC and ME/CFS (as discussed on the front page) the following recent study associates polymorphisms in TRAF1-C5 - a gene regulating the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-a with 'sickness behaviour' - fatigue, mental and physical function and mood.

TRAF1-C5 Affects Quality of Life in Patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cdi/2013/510547/

From the discussion (my breaks and bolds):

TRAF1-C5 plays an important role in the homeostasis of TNF-α, as well as a plethora of other cytokines with important pro-inflammatory actions [23, 35, 36].

Cholestatic disorders such as PBC are characterised by an imbalance of circulating pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines. This dysregulation may directly or indirectly influence sick behaviours, as the enhanced release of TNF-α within the brain contributes to the development of mood disorders and mental sickness [3036].

In an animal model of cholestasis, Kerfoot et al. [31] have demonstrated in an increased infiltration of monocytes producing TNFα, which subsequently leads to further activation of resident brain macrophages able to produce TNFα.

Also, a fine Th1/Th2 immunity imbalance affects the IL-10/IL-12 regulatory circuit [14, 53, 54] and leads to over expression of IL-12 and TNF-α cytokines in patients with chronic fatigue. An increase of circulating TNF-α levels has been associated with significant fatigue in cholestatic patients with cancer [55]. Finally, work on animal models of chronic fatigue syndrome has also underlined the important pathogenic role of TRAF1-related cytokines, such as TNFα [32, 34]. These findings warrant further investigation.

Enid

Interesting Marco - for the simple reason my brother (Prof Neurology) is now diagnosed with liver autoimmunity, apart from everything else. What sets the immune system into autodrive.