1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Pressure to work when sick has long term negative effects" (BMJ press release)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this might be of interest to some e.g. contrast with "work is good
    for you"; or a lot of people with ME/CFS wish they had rested more in the
    early stages.

-----
    BMJ press release

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    One of the major "issues" I have with this is that people end up coming to work when they have cold/flus and end up infecting half the workplace. Not cool!
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    good find, Dolphin

yes, Snow Leopard, that is a problem
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Snow Leopard, agreed, and this results in much greater productivity losses than if the person stayed home - everybody loses, including the employer. Bye, Alex
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A friend of mine, from Ireland, commented on it is so much different in the workplace in Australia to Ireland (and also England where she has worked a lot). She was an accountant (has now changed careers) and she had a cold. One of her colleagues commented on it in the morning. Somebody else I think also did. Eventually the boss sent her home before lunch time even though she wasn't that bad. That'd never happen in Ireland was basically what she said. It may be because we have so many colds here.
  6. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    How about the pressure to work when you are sick with CFS or Fibromyalgia and get denied disability? Besides work, I haven't been out of my house for six months. All I can do is work. I spend all weekend in bed and after work I sit on the couch and worry about having to get up to get to bed. Sometimes I just can't do it.

Just had to let that out. Thanks.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The more I learn about the role psychosocial factors can play in perpetuating illness, the more it seems that the psychosocial approach taken towards CFS patients was 100% wrong, and almost perfectly designed to induce chronic illness. Which would be funny in a novel, not so much when this is your one and only life.

See more popular forum discussions.