• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Press release: "PACE Trial: The Making of a Medical Scandal" avail. to journalists. Please highlight

slysaint

I think he is trying to rewrite history.
"CONCLUSION
I remain proud of the work myself and colleagues did in the early days of CFS, and delighted that my colleagues are continuing to research the illness in a broad multi disciplinary way, and refine or develop new treatments. "

"I know for sure that these extremists are a tiny minority, and do not speak for real patients in any shape or form".

"So next time you come across something that purports to be an unfavourable or unflattering quote from myself or one of my colleagues, make sure you check it out first with the actual article."

Oh pleease:aghhh::vomit:

PDXhausted

...continuing to research the illness in a broad multi disciplinary way...

I wonder which multiple disciplines he has deluded himself into thinking he is using...

Also this part made me LOL:
Simon Weasley said:
There were, and probably always will be, those who pushed various unproven and untested therapies, often from plush clinics in Harley Street...

Thank goodness Simon was there to hand out pamphlets convincing patients that his unproven and untested treatments actually worked!

slysaint

Simon Weasley said:
"There were, and probably always will be, those who pushed various unproven and untested therapies, often from plush clinics in Harley Street..."

From the Priory group website:
http://www.priorygroup.com/blog/priory-bitesize/medically-unexplained-symptoms
"
Behavioural activation
This is a massively underused highly effective treatment for depression, anxiety and MUS. Behavioural activation is just a focused way to schedule activities day by day. It can be offered as part of a CBT package.

• If you lie in bed all day you will feel worse - “getting off your butt therapy” patient’s own words!
  • If you stay at home and avoid everyone you will feel worse and you will just focus on your symptoms
  • In chronic fatigue syndrome graded exercise is a form of behavioural activation
  • Get Active Feel Good".
:rolleyes:

slysaint

Yeah, that's the editorial itself, I'm hoping that there is something that lists not just the editorial but also links to all the other commentaries in just one webpage or similar.
Just go back one page on the website.
eta: ie click on table of contents (RHS of page)

snowathlete

The PACE supporters obviously decided there were going to be media coverage, so best to try and control the focus of reporting. It seems to me they are trying to focus on claiming the JHP didn't do proper peer-reviews, and undermining the reputations of the people involved, including the authors. I would think they'd have to be very careful what they imply about the authors given the strong UK libel laws but having seen the SMC release today it doesn't appear they have been very careful at all. I'm wondering what else they will risk in tomorrows papers.

user9876

The PACE supporters obviously decided there were going to be media coverage, so best to try and control the focus of reporting. It seems to me they are trying to focus on claiming the JHP didn't do proper peer-reviews, and undermining the reputations of the people involved, including the authors. I would think they'd have to be very careful what they imply about the authors given the strong UK libel laws but having seen the SMC release today it doesn't appear they have been very careful at all. I'm wondering what else they will risk in tomorrows papers.

Of course it may be an issue where the general public can see the obvious issues but a small group of academics at Oxford, Edinburgh and the MRC just can't understand the failures. They put no arguments out against them just bluster. It doesn't say much for UK universities but then perhaps thats why so many academic staff are from outside of the UK these days.

Countrygirl

Prof Coyne has just posted this:

https://www.coyneoftherealm.com/blo...f-health-psychology-concerning-the-pace-trial

This is part of the article:

Part 2: What to look for in a Special Issue of Journal of Health Psychology concerning the PACE trial
by James C Coyne August 01, 2017
Part 2: What to look for in the Special Issue of Journal of Health Psychology concerning the PACE trial
In a continuation of the last blog post, this one provides brief summaries and links to eight additional contributions to the special issue of Journal of Health Psychology. These articles include a reply to the PACE investigators’ response from Keith Geraghty, a defense of the trial from some friends and supporters (Petrie and Weinman) of the PACE investigators, and a commentary from Susanna Agardy on the conflicts of interest in this defense.

special-issue-spread.png

Apologies to the authors and readers for my not indicating yesterday that there were an additional eight summaries coming. Because of all the uncertainty about whether the special issue would be published on schedule or blocked, yesterday’s blog post was uploaded at the last minute and incomplete.

When the effort to block publication of the special issue failed, the PACE investigators got criticism posted at Science Media Centre. One commentary was attributed to anonymous sources at Oxford University and simply parroting things that the PACE investigators themselves have been saying all along. Another commentary was from Malcolm MacLeod, a former colleague of Michael Sharpe at University of Edinburgh, who also authored a paper with him. McLeod claims to have read the issue and found nothing of substance there. That was an amazing feat, because the Science Media Centre posted this critique only minutes before the special issue was available. We might conclude that McLeod is a speed reader. Judging from the superficiality of his comments, it could simply be a matter of his not having read the special issue

Who would’ve thought that a special issue of Journal of Health Psychology could garner such publicity?

McLeod also indiscreetly disclosed that he was a member of a committee advising PLOS One on whether to release to me the data from an article on the PACE trial. Availability of the data had been promised as a condition for publishing in PLOS One. Yet, over a year after my request, it has still not been provided. However the PLOS One article now prominently features an Expression of Concern, which often precedes a retraction. Regardless, McLeod’s disclosure cast doubt on the integrity of the decision-making process at PLOS One, given his obvious conflict of interest.

As a critic of the PACE trial from the United States, I noticed early on that I was dealing with a tight close-knit network, strongly interconnected with the British establishment, a real charmed circle. The opposition to the publication of the special issue of Journal of Health Psychology and the PACE investigators’ access to resources like Science Media Centre and placement of an article in The Times and who served as go-to sources put this network on public display.

However, the brouhaha and the foiled effort to block publication of the special issue and this extraordinary attentionin the media has paradoxically generated considerable buzz about the special issue that would otherwise not have. We appreciate all the publicity we can get and we hope the PACE investigators will bring on some more. But for now, check out the brief summaries below and click on the links to the open access articles.

Special thanks to blogger John Peters for having put together these links and summaries.

Eight articles from the Special Issue
Distress signals: Does cognitive behavioural therapy reduce or increase distress in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis? Keith R Laws

Reducing the psychological distress associated with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis is seen as a key aim of cognitive behavioural therapy. Crucially, the claim by National Institute of Clinical Excellence that cognitive behavioural therapy reduces distress in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis is not only at odds with what patients repeatedly report in surveys, but with their own gold-standard randomised controlled trial and meta-analytic data.

Cognitive behaviour therapy and objective assessments in chronic fatigue syndrome Graham McPhee