• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Press Release - Has Workwell Foundation Identified a Diagnostic Biomarker for CFS?

alex3619

There have been several threads discussing this already. Its too early to call it a diagnostic test I think, but there is now enough data to say it should be considered for all patients well enough to do it, especially if they need objective evidence of disability, or are facing issues with misdiagnosis or inappropriate exercise prescriptions. With some more confirmation and testing, then I think it could be considered diagnostic. Now I do think it probably is diagnostic, but I also think that this wont be fully accepted on current evidence, but the tide is turning.

Given the data I am not too concerned with false positives or negatives. For one thing, were the two diagnostic failures really failures, or were the patients misdiagnosed? For the sedentary controls, did the sedentary control really have undiagnosed CFS or ME?

waiting

There have been several threads discussing this already. Its too early to call it a diagnostic test I think, but there is now enough data to say it should be considered for all patients well enough to do it, especially if they need objective evidence of disability, or are facing issues with misdiagnosis or inappropriate exercise prescriptions. With some more confirmation and testing, then I think it could be considered diagnostic. Now I do think it probably is diagnostic, but I also think that this wont be fully accepted on current evidence, but the tide is turning.

Given the data I am not too concerned with false positives or negatives. For one thing, were the two diagnostic failures really failures, or were the patients misdiagnosed? For the sedentary controls, did the sedentary control really have undiagnosed CFS or ME?

Yes, we have discussed their new study already, but as this is their own press release, I think it's good to include it here.

Good questions, alex3619.

Guido den Broeder

This test was certainly not invented by Workwell. Neither is it sufficiently accurate on the individual level. Individuals have different exercise tolerance limits and the relevant time between the two tests varies as well. Also, the results from the first test may already be so poor that there is no room for the second one to be even worse...

Nielk

It does not matter whether they invented it. They have it available. It has been helpful on an I do ideal basis for people to prove their disability from work. This test can only work of. Purse for people who. An a tuly go there and undergo the testing. This leaves out the severe cases.