Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Press Release available: "Tribunal Orders Release of Withheld Data from Controversial £5M CFS Study"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

MEaction11057462_1627862554162811_7628310772215289553_n.png
    #‎MEaction‬ have created and started to circulate a press release with the title:
    It contains expert comment from nine people from the US, UK, Australia and Ireland.

Alem, who made the request and fought the case, is from Australia so one or more Australian media outlets might find it of interest.

If you know of any journalists or media outlets who might be interested in a copy, just ask them to email me at tom kindlon (all one word) at gmail dot com.

It is also being circulated through a particular press release service.

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

3. Tom Kindlon

As it contained some telephone numbers and to keep it fresh for journalists, a link is not being posted publicly at this time.

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Thank you.

Tom Kindlon likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is exactly the kind of thing we need. :thumbsup:

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

You know any Australian journalists?

Brave Aussie takes on snobby Brits... and wins! Surely that will appeal, especially while the UK is second in the Olympic medal table.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Not yet. There are stories here that might be well received.

8. Woolie

Woolie Gone now, hope to see you all again soon somewhere

On a lighter note, so far, Great Britain and Australia have about the same rate of gold medals per head of population (around 0.3 per million population). New Zealand has more (0.9 per million) :D.

USA and China are the underachievers, with only 0.1 and 0.01 gold medals per million respectively.

Hats off to Jamaica, which is the all-out winner so far, with 1.4 gold medals per million population!

Snow Leopard, MEMum, Bob and 8 others like this.
  9. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    But I think the uk is spending about £5.4 per gold medal. I'm not sure about the others. I think the tightest correlations were with spending rather than population. Clearly with population there are a number of outliers such as India.

Invisible Woman, Valentijn and Woolie like this.
  10. Woolie

Woolie Gone now, hope to see you all again soon somewhere

Its all pretty nuts when you think of it like that, isn't it? What a waste of money!

Invisible Woman and user9876 like this.
  11. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

I'm sure that people would like to see the press release and the expert comments on the judgement that are included with it.

As one of the docs who has provided an expert comment I am quite happy for this information (with our personal contact details and phone numbers etc removed) to be placed in the public domain at a suitable interval after release to the journalists.

12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    I wonder if Drummond Rennie (co-organizer of CONSORT, a former member of the Commission on Research Integrity for the US Public Health Service, and former president of the World Association of Medical Editors)
    might be interested in the press release? I thought his recent comment in Nature "Let's make peer review scientific" was very good.

A.B., Invisible Woman, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  13. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

If you PM it to me, I could translate it to norwegian and send it to the main newspapers etc.

Snow Leopard, MEMum, moosie and 3 others like this.
  14. shannah

shannah Senior Member

With personal details removed, I think many of us would be very interested in seeing the press release.

leela, ukxmrv, jodie100 and 2 others like this.
  15. Tom Kindlon

Me too.

Keela Too, moosie and mango like this.
  16. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I think as patients we need to wait to see the press release. Media want fresh information/quotes from experts to use in their articles. If the release is already out there in the public domain, appearing in blogs and so on, then they won't use them and may not even cover the story as a result. Good that it will be made public after an appropriate interval, but I wouldn't want that to jeopordise the media covering the story.

Solstice, Bob, moosie and 6 others like this.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Really looking forward to the UK media in particular writing about this gigantic scandal in their midst.

18. JamBob

JamBob Senior Member

Haha - I think hell will freeze over before we see the UK media reporting on this*. The UK media only like CFS stories that have been rubber-stamped by the lovely folks over at the SMC.

* Though I'd love to be proven wrong!

worldbackwards, Solstice, Bob and 3 others like this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well, we're about to see...

Bob, MEMum, moosie and 3 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The UK media have done a terrible job with ME/CFS/PACE... are they going to want to point this out to their readers?

leela, Bob and JamBob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.