1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Press Conference Celebrates One Year Anniversary Support of ABLE Act

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog
    View the Post on the Blog
    Dreambirdie and Merry like this.
  2. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    A noble act by Congress. Maybe the tide is changing. Hope they get this done for all those who have nothing after getting sick.
  3. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Thanks for the detailed reporting Jody. I had no idea.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks SpecialK,

It is a pretty big deal that has been in the works for awhile. I noticed that some of the members of congress who were there to speak and offer their support also have family members who live with disabilities. A case of knowing first hand what difficulties are being faced, and a personal desire to see things change. Doesn't hurt.
    Dreambirdie likes this.
  5. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

It's very important to distinguish between the two kinds of Social Security benefits and the effects of this bill. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) has NO asset limit. You could have $1,000,000 in assets and still collect SSDI. Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) DOES have an asset limit. It is a need-based program, with an eligibility requirement for income and assets. This bill helps people collecting SSI.
  6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks for the clarification jspotila.:)
    jspotila likes this.
  7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I probably sound like a broken record, but this is more re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Congress and Obama are about to take a meat axe to Social Security, Medicare, Food Stamps, God knows what else, and they are celebrating that poor people can earn .1% interest on their savings accounts and not pay taxes on it? If someone told me this was a story from The Onion, I would believe it. How can anyone on SSI, which typically pays around $700 a month, save even ten dollars? Since "everyone" supports the bill, why is it still pending after a year?

There are SIX MILLION people in the US whose only income is food stamps, including myself. I can't wait for the day when I no longer have to pay income taxes on my "savings"...
  8. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Right, there are two kinds of disability, SSDI for those who have worked and paid into the system, and SSI, for those who have not. For SSDI, you can have any amount of savings. For SSI, there is an income and asset limit of $2000 (outside of one house and one car).

I'm on SSDI, but based on my low income, I would also qualify for SSI, if only I didn't have so many assets. You can "spend down" your assets to qualify, but I'm not willing to do that until circumstances force me to.

This is where I'm getting confused - if I put my assets in one of these special accounts, would I then be able to qualify for SSI? There are many programs I could get such as food stamps or heat assistance if I was on SSI.
  9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    One other point - since my income is below $25k, I already don't have to pay taxes. I don't see what one of these special accounts would get me.

See more popular forum discussions.