• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Presentation: Lowering the Histamine Burden

camas

This slide presentation by Tiffany Blackden at the 2012 Mastocytosis Society Conference is well worth the read. Her son has been diagnosed with MCAD (aka MCAS), and she is taking a holistic approach to his treatment.

I noted that she's addressing improving methylation in her treatment. I have wondered if Rich's theory of lifting the methylation block might dovetail with treating mast cell activation. So sad that he's not around to comment on this. I think he would have found it interesting.

Her entire presentation will appear on the 2012 Mastocytosis Society Annual Conference DVDs which the Mastocytosis Society should be releasing soon.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
camas

Rich cannot comment on this presentation, but I'll paste in here an earlier comment on histamine:

richvank6/25/09 3:39 PM

Hi,

It's true that one of the two main pathways for breaking down histamine requires methylation. I have encountered at least one case in which there is a partial methylation cycle block, as shown by testing, and there is also elevated histamine, which produces a variety of symptoms. This person is just starting to treat the partial methylation cycle block, so I don't have results to report yet. But based on the biochemistry, I do think that treating the partial methylation cycle block can help to relieve allergies. Another aspect of this is that treating the partial methylation cycle block and the glutathione depletion should help to shift the immune response away from Th2, and that should also help to relieve allergies.

Best regards,

Rich

nanonug

I noted that she's addressing improving methylation in her treatment. I have wondered if Rich's theory of lifting the methylation block might dovetail with treating mast cell activation.

I think this is likely the reason methylation partially helps. At some point (a few months back) I was doing some serious supplementation with methylcobalamin and methylfolate. However, using SAM-e should also work, both for methylation and glutathione production.

camas

I've been taking methylfolate, seriphos, and a subligual b12 for well over a year since they seem to help a little with my sleep. Nothing dramatic, but worth continuing.

I forgot to mention that Slide 10 is real show stopper. When you see the impact of histamine alone, you can come to see how everything else that over activated mast cells release could leave us so ill.

SaraM

Magnesium, vit C, b6, and methionine for breaking histamine. Antihistamine did nothing for me. Food avoidance is the only thing that helps . People with MCAS can be salicylate sensitive, too.

xchocoholic

Magnesium, vit C, b6, and methionine for breaking histamine. Antihistamine did nothing for me. Food avoidance is the only thing that helps . People with MCAS can be salicylate sensitive, too.

It still amazes me how we are all just so different here. I've found avoiding trigger foods and taking 250 mg b6 + mag help my pelvic pain but I can actually eat a little of my trigger foods (nuts and chocolate) and not get pain on antihistamines. I've actually gotten away with eating waaaay too much chocolate and nuts on antihistamines but I'm trying not to push it. It's
hard to resist these when my body doesn't react tho.

I can't take b12 without getting too wired to sleep. I had to stop my folate too but I can't remeber why now. I know that I just don't feel well during the day on these. If I had to guess I'd say it's like my adrenals are stuck in high gear and I feel energized but I don't have the muscle strength to do anything still. My brain can't keep up either.

tc .. X

camas

My brain can't keep up either. My liver is having even more difficulty after trying to process all the new drugs and supplements I've been testing the past couple of months. Really aching the last few days.

I know from my 23andMe testing, past caffeine clearance tests, etc. that my liver has difficulties detoxing. But I also wonder about some mast cell involvement. I had my gallbladder removed when I was in my early 20s. It was mess - borderline gangrene and covered with adhesions. The pathologist didn't know what to make of it. Now I read that Dr. Theo says mast cells can cause adhesions. Too bad it's 30 years too late to have that biopsy stained.

I am seriously thinking about just doing an UltraClear fast (had good results with them in the past) and then starting again slowly to try some new things.

(Don't mind me. Just thinking out loud. lol)

nanonug

My liver is having even more difficulty after trying to process all the new drugs and supplements I've been testing the past couple of months. Really aching the last few days.

This is one of the reasons I recently decided to stop both quercetone and luteolin as both competitively inhibit several liver detox enzymes. I am just taking Normast right now.

camas

This is one of the reasons I recently decided to stop both quercetone and luteolin as both competitively inhibit several liver detox enzymes. I am just taking Normast right now.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems that most potent flavonoids are MAO inhibitors. That's may explain why some feel hyper after taking quercetin. I was moving from energized to wired, so had to drastically cut my dose of Quercetone. It's still helping my bloating, flushing, overheating, etc., but I think my liver is paying the price.