• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Preparing for methylation protocol - questions and co-factors

Hi,
So I've been having trouble and reservations about treating my hypocortisolism with adrenal cortex (low doses are quite stimulating), so I've decided I'll go to treat my homozygous MTHFR, first. My main symptoms are very strong, nearly constant anxiety that other goes hand in hand with fatigue (that is, it's much worse when my fatigue is worse, after physical activity. I was never diagnosed with CFS), as well as depression, brain fog, and mild POTS. A handful of questions:

1. It seems to be important to treat CBS, first, which I am hetero for. Is that relevant? I take Depakote 750mg, which may raise ammonia, and I take epsom salt baths (sulfer) fairly often.

2. I'm sensitive to a lot of the co-factors I've tried. Fish Oil capsules gave me strong anxiety, B-Complexes (without folate/b12) overstimulate me in nibble doses, and Vitamin D is stimulating at 1000IU (though not in a bad way). Should I try Fermented Cod Liver Oil for the EPA/DHA/D3 and titrate up?

3. I'm also just going to eat liver for my B-Vitamins, BUT it contains a good amount of Folate... would this throw off a future methylfolate titration?

4. Vitamin E complex and Zinc - really necessary? My RBC Zinc levels are on the upper end and I eat a lot of meat. Vitamin C is another one - I have trouble supplementing it due to anxiety (it increases conversion from dopamine to norepinephrine).

5. WHEN would be the proper time to add Potassium gluconate supplementation? Upon adding B12? Or not until Folate? I get a lot of potassium with my diet (sweet potatoes, avocados, misc vegetables), but that may not be enough.

6. Lastly, I take 65mcg of desiccated thyroid daily. It's a relatively low dose, but I have problems raising it, probably due to low cortisol. I hear that when you start MTHFR treatment, the thyroid becomes more properly active, and one can become hyperthyroid if taking NDT. Any further information on this?

Thanks so much for any help. This is frustrating because I am very sensitive to everything these days, probably because of an endocrine crash.

Valentijn

I've decided I'll go to treat my homozygous MTHFR, first.
MTHFR mutations are extremely common. If it's A1298C that you're homozygous for, it would put your MTHFR activity at a very average level. Homozygous C677T can have more of an impact. But in either event, eating a normal amount of vegetables or supplementing a normal dose (400mcg-800mcg) of folate has been shown to fully compensate for its effects. It shouldn't be something which warrants an elaborate treatment, if any at all.

It seems to be important to treat CBS, first, which I am hetero for. Is that relevant?
No, the popular CBS SNPs have no detrimental impact at all. Some are mildly beneficial, and the rest do absolutely nothing.

So the whole "methylation protocol" really isn't that big a deal? It's at least necessary to take MeB12 before Folate, yeah?