• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregeneolone and DHEA.. helpful.. or just amplify chemical sensitivity?

I have used both Pregenolone and DHEA to support adrenal function. I began to become concerned when on two occasions it seemed like after starting them, my tolerance to many things seemed to worsen. Exposures to solvents, pesticides, even supplements, seemed more problematic.

I have seen mixed information in the literature about pregnenolone and DHEA upregulating the NMDA receptors. Some MCS theories ( Dr Martin Pall and others) suggest that NMDA upregulation is at the heart of chemical sensitivity, therefore anything that upregulated NMDA would make it worse.

Has anyone else had experience with this? or could provide theory on this?

Thanks,
Viking

meandthecat

Hi viking ... DHEA has been a core part of the supplements I use. I find it essential. Over that period I have become far less suseptable to being knocked about by ....stuff. Sorry about the vagueness but it was hard to pin down cause and effect. Every now and then I try to back off but my energy drops so I carry on.

ukxmrv

It's not been my experience so far @Viking that DHEA and Pregenolone have increased my already bad MCS.

However in my case they were taken in different years and never together. Also small doses.

Sorry to hear how they affected you.