The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prednisone against myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by deleder2k, Feb 21, 2016.

1. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Published in Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association: http://tidsskriftet.no/article/3449081

First online (18th of February 2016)

Translation mainly by Google Translate (a subsidiary of Google, California, USA)

2. Woolie

Woolie Gone now, hope to see you all again soon somewhere

Thank you, @deleder2k, very interesting. I did pretty much the same search as this author when considering to take prednisone. The doses that have been tested are very low (they're formulated on the basis that we have hypocortolism). They're not used in the right doses in these studies to be immune suppressants.

I decided to give prednisone a try because I was severely ill at the time - had been for months - and was facing losing my job. I had to take a huge dose to get any effect - 40mg to start with. But its effect was nothing short of miraculous, I was out of bed the next day picking fruit in my garden!

The major problem I found was that when I tried to drop the dose (which you need need to pretty quickly, because 40mg is pretty dangerous), the illness episodes started recurring (I have a very relapsing-remitting form of ME). Also, it felt to me as if the effects were just "wearing off" after a few months. There are a lot of downsides - weight gain, puffy face, risk of osteoporosis, feeling hot, slightly "jumpy", cataracts. I'd happily accept all of these for an effective drug, but it just didn't seem to be doing much after a while.

I would still recommend you talk about pred with your doc if you're going through a truly awful crash that just won't let up. Might be well worth the risks if it gets you out of bed. But at the moment, I'm thinking maybe prednisone is better used by us in "quick bursts" at key times, so it remains effective, rather than as a long-term med.

See more popular forum discussions.