• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prebiotics, specifically dextran

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Just tuning in to let you gut warriors out there my negative experience with prebiotics. I have so far taken FOS, Inulin and Water Kefir grains which are composed mainly of dextran which is a viable prebiotic as per studies.
With Inulin and FOS I got gas, stickier stools and no improvement of symptoms. Because my water kefir grains were multiplying very efficiently I tried taking from 50 to 100 grams for like 4 days. Now I feel a bit like I have SIBO, I have never had so much smelly and frequent farts and feel slightly bloated which never was a problem before. Stools are small and sticky. On top of that I dont feel better and probably worse, sleeping shitty like most days but now plagued by constant farting and bloating. :thumbdown:

I was doing pretty well with Chlorella megadoses gut wise and thought water kefir could make a perfect companion and further improve my gut but now I am slightly paranoid about having done something permanently harmful to my bacteria and having SIBO lol

Bottom line is that prebiotics are not such a clever move IMO. If you have a malfunctioning gut with obviously altered bacteria, yeast, immunity etc what makes you think just giving prebiotics is going to increase the organisms you have lower and lower the ones you have in excessive amounts... Think about, it is just plain stupid.

Anyway, I am angry and frustrated because of this FETID setback. Maybe some people can improve on prebiotics, for me they make matters worse. I dont think my leaky gut has all that much to do with the famous microbiome, but with a immune system fully looped into a new paradigm, like a computer infected with a virus that changes its fundamental system rules. My leaky gut wasnt started by anything bacteria related, anyway, and probiotics never did a thing for me. Aluminum and chronic stress gave me leaky gut, and both are scientifically proven to cause intestinal inflammation or permeability and immune system shifts towards autoimmunity.

Last edited:
Just tuning in to. let you gut warriors out there my negative experience with prebiotics. I have so far taken FOS, Inulin and Water Kefir grains which are composed mainly of dextran which is a viable prebiotic as per studies.
With Inulin and FOS I got gas, stickier stools and no improvement of symptoms. Because my water kefir grains were multiplying very efficiently I tried taking from 50 to 100 grams for like 4 days. Now I feel a bit like I have SIBO, I have never had so much smelly and frequent farts and feel slightly bloated which never was a problem before. Stools are small and sticky. On top of that I dont feel better and probably worse, sleeping shitty like most days but now plagued by constant farting and bloating. :thumbdown:

I was doing pretty well with Chlorella megadoses gut wise and thought water kefir could make a perfect companion and further improve my gut but now I am slightly paranoid about having done something permanently harmful to my bacteria and having SIBO lol

Bottom line is that prebiotics are not such a clever move IMO. If you have a malfunctioning gut with obviously altered bacteria, yeast, immunity etc what makes you think just giving prebiotics is going to increase the organisms you have lower and lower the ones you have in excessive amounts... Think about, it is just plain stupid.

Anyway, I am angry and frustrated because of this FETID setback. Maybe some people can improve on prebiotics, for me they make matters worse. I dont think my leaky gut has all that much to do with the famous microbiome, but with a immune system fully looped into a new paradigm, like a computer infected with a virus that changes its fundamental system rules. My leaky gut wasnt started by anything bacteria related, anyway, and probiotics never did a thing for me. Aluminum and chronic stress gave me leaky gut, and both are scientifically proven to cause intestinal inflammation or permeability and immune system shifts towards autoimmunity.

Prebiotics are problematic in most that have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.