• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pre-conception diet affects genetic expression of methylation ability

helen1

Really interesting article, thanks @peggy-sue

I'm surprised the article doesn't mention another much more unfortunate 'experiment of nature', namely, starvation in one region of Holland in the winter of 1944. The poor health of the children born of starving women that winter was discovered 18 years later when those male children were called to do military service and failed the physical requirements in unusually large numbers.

If memory serves me the main health issues of these young men were obesity, mental health, diabetes and heart disease.

peggy-sue

It has concerned me for years that a woman's body, however amazing and wonderful it is, simply cannot make a healthy baby from a diet of High Fructose Corn Syrup and hydrogenated fats.

But you are perfectly correct, helen1, there have been many unusual experiments carried out by nature itself.

I suppose the Dutch famine wasn't directly relevant to this study, which had actual measurements from before birth cohorts, but it is something which would have been relvant, if mentioned in the discussion.

However, it's only really in social sciences such things do get included.
In scientific papers, they tend to be a lot less "wordy", they concentrate on the issue and being concise.

Martial

Lol makes me wish my mom was taking methylation support when I was in the womb, very interesting story! Thank you for sharing, that is crazy to think it completely silenced these mutations for good!