• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

erin

Back to hair colour, I have mid brown hair and a lot of white strands. Kind of %30 percent. They are evenly spread through out amongst the browns.

My hair dresser gave me a great tip; he suggested that I dye my hair with semi-permanent blond dye (less chemicals as it is not permanent). Blond dye would only colour the white strands because lighter pigment is chemically not able bind onto brown strands.

The result is you have a non permanent highlights, only 30% of less chemical treatment of my hair and will wash out in 28 days. Actually it lasts less than 28 days on me.

And if I want to get rid of it quicker, I wash more often and also a vitamin C wash get rid of it quicker too. I do this if I feel sensitive afterwards.

This suits me most of the time, only once it felt itchy and I had to do a vitamin C mask and wash it off. It was OK.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @erin. I also have medium brown hair and lots of gray. I have never had highlights. I've always had semi-permanent color.

The color takes a little differently with the gray strands, so the effect looks natural. That's interesting about the blond dye on your medium-brown hair.

My color lasts a good 2 months before the roots bother me enough to get it colored again. That's because I only wash my hair once a week. That idea would have grossed me out when I was younger and couldn't stand to go a day without washing my hair, but as I've gotten older, my hair has gotten less oily and changed to a wavy texture, so it stands up off my scalp.

Do your eyebrows have gray strands also? Mine are salt-and-pepper in their natural state, so I get them waxed and tinted so I don't look demented. My thick brows have gotten wild and curly, so getting a professional to tame them is one of the few really girly things I do.

erin

Hi, @erin. I also have medium brown hair and lots of gray. I have never had highlights. I've always had semi-permanent color.

The color takes a little differently with the gray strands, so the effect looks natural. That's interesting about the blond dye on your medium-brown hair.

My color lasts a good 2 months before the roots bother me enough to get it colored again. That's because I only wash my hair once a week. That idea would have grossed me out when I was younger and couldn't stand to go a day without washing my hair, but as I've gotten older, my hair has gotten less oily and changed to a wavy texture, so it stands up off my scalp.

Do your eyebrows have gray strands also? Mine are salt-and-pepper in their natural state, so I get them waxed and tinted so I don't look demented. My thick brows have gotten wild and curly, so getting a professional to tame them is one of the few really girly things I do.

I've started with brown semi permanent dye too, that looked really nice too. Two toned effect as you mention that the colour takes a little differently with the gray strands. But I want less chemicals on my hair. At the time I was very allergic my hair dresser suggested this as blond dye would not be bind to the brown hair only to the white strands.

When I say blond its the darkest blond, kind of ash colour. Lighter blond does not work at all.

I wash my hair twice a week, semi permanent dye lasts app. 3 weeks with me. I would like to wash less, once week like yourself but my hair is a little oily.

I love the girly treatments too. :)With my eye brows I lightened them one shade with jolen sensitive skin product. This makes my eye lashes look darker so, I don't need mascara. Everything looks a bit lighter and I feel this looks quite fresh.

hellytheelephant

Hi Folks-

I am in flare up and really missing 'normality' and especially wearing 'normal' clothes. As I have written about before I have big problems with trousers due to pain- eg they have to be loose....and the next stop is harem pants for sure , but I really miss my jeans...and would really like to be able to wear some form of denim trousers that wasn't tight on girly area/lower back/sacrum etc.

Just wondered if any of you have tried maternity jeans? If any of you did and found them good did you get your regular size or a bigger size? I think the baggy expanding fabric at the top of maternity Jeans could be a winner- OR I could cut the waistband out of my baggy jeans and replace with t shirt material?

Thanks guys!

As I have written about before I have big problems with trousers due to pain- eg they have to be loose....and the next stop is harem pants for sure , but I really miss my jeans...and would really like to be able to wear some form of denim trousers that wasn't tight on girly area/lower back/sacrum etc.
A lot of normal-looking women's jeans are made with a small amount (1-2%) of spandex. There's also stretchier ones, but tend to be a thinner material and are obviously stretch jeans. Style & Co is a brand I like a lot for a comfortable fit while looking and feeling like real jeans.

ladycatlover

I have to admit to going a bit over the top with clothes! :oops: :rolleyes: But mostly I do actually wait for sales - main times I haven't done that is when my daughters got married. Eldest's wedding around 5 years ago I bought from Sahara - linen dress and matching jacket, plus matching skirt too to extend life of outfit. Don't always want to wear a dress, sometimes shirt or t-shirt with jacket and skirt feels more comfortable. Don't have a heart attack when you look at the prices - these are Very Special Occasion buys mostly for me. Though worth checking when the sale comes round!

https://www.saharalondon.com/

My other fave shop is Wall. Still expensive, but mostly cheaper than Sahara. I'm making a collection of their Pima cotton dresses. They are ankle length on me. Reasonable in their sales, wash like a dream, have several now, all washed a lot (apart from the one I was saving in case my Tribunal came up suddenly, only just started wearing that! :rolleyes: :nervous: ). They are wonderful as you can wear them as a dress, but comfy enough to use as a nightie. So saves bothering getting dressed - I do find it a bit embarrassing going down to postman when obviously wearing pyjamas! :rofl:

https://www.wall-london.com/

All of Wall's Pima cotton stuff is fab for washing - have a couple of vests and tops too.

Have to confess I did hit Sahara last week - just fell in love with some stuff... And after being "good" about only buying in the sales for several years now I decided to treat myself. :redface: :smug: This is a one off blow out after selling our old home.

Edit - can't get insert image to work, so here's a link instead:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpool-leftovers/33763585851/in/dateposted-public/

ladycatlover

@ladycatlover, the Sahara clothes are so beautiful and elegant.

It's just a shame they're so expensive! :eek: But even us ME folks need posh frocks for special occasions sometimes! ;) And I've had some bargains in their sales if I wait long enough - risky strategy if you have your eye on a particular piece, but I try not to get too attached to anything before it's in the shopping basket! ;)

ladycatlover

@ladycatlover - love your recommendations, particularly Wall. I had a look on ebay and their are some pieces for sale ( for those like me on a limited budget). They look so comfy too. I like the nightie/dress combination. I have a dressing gown that covers everything from chin to ankle, but would still prefer that the postie doesn't know I'm in PJs!

The Pima cotton really is comfortable. I haven't tried the no-sleeve slash neck dresses as can't take high at front necklines (make me feel like I'm about to choke)... As to the postie, also have jersey cotton "leisure wear" trousers bought in John Lewis sale (far too expensive full price! :jaw-drop: ) that work well with a cotton/cashmere top from Pure Cashmere, not PJ looking at all. Not indulging in so much cashmere at present as we have a real moth problem at home. :vomit: But Pure is a good place to buy in their sales, and it's all environmentally OK too. Before the moths I wore a lot of cashmere as so warm and light, it washed OK and some stuff lasted years. Now it's a bit more questionable! ;) But so long as your home is moth free it is worth the investment I think.

Gotta put up the Moth Scene with Peter Sellers here to give you a smile!

Strawberry

I've posted basically the same thing before, but I keep finding these stretchy slacks for sale that I just LOVE! I now have bought 3 pair, I think all 3 are different brands. They are slacks, so are very professional looking, but the fabric is very stretch and I usually get a size too big. Even being big they hang very nicely, and don't look baggy. The fabric doesn't wrinkle or bunch awkwardly. I buy them big so that if I eat something that doesn't agree with my stomach and I blow up look like a balloon, I'm still comfy. I'd even sleep in them. Shhhh. I haven't yet though, but they ARE that comfy.

The ones I am wearing today are very similar to this:
https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/911735/anne-klein-zip-pocket-straight-leg-pants

Don't pay attention to the price, I got mine even cheaper than the marked down price in that link! Mine were $20 USD. I normally shop at Ross, and for those that don't know, it is a discount clearance store. I feel lucky if I find something in under 2 minutes (my max time before I have to run to the check out line and get out of there), but these slacks are worth every penny!

@ladycatlover I love the outfits! And especially love the hat. I need to start wearing hats outside as my now white hair is getting very thin. (and I'm only 50! :mad: )

@hellytheelephant Have you looked at elephant pants? My daughter's absolute FAVORITE. They donate $ to an elephant charity also. Take it from a gorgeous 22 year old hipster that these are the best... ever... And look great with all body types. https://www.theelephantpants.com/

hellytheelephant

Thankyou @Strawberry -I do like the look of the elephant pants, and their ethic. I think I have made peace with the fact that for the moment there is only one pair of sweat bottoms I can wear without aggravating the pain.....Pain's worse and try as I might if I wear anything else I have to redress.
So.....my current solution is to wear a long, brightly skirt, with loose waistband over the sweats, so it actually looks like I've dressed up.

I did get one of these bras, but I just can't wear anything this tight. The bra was fine, a nice colour and well made and seems to do the job with the cleavage, I have pain aggravated by anything fitted, but would suit someone who doesn't.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CX105OE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Am experimenting with different hair solutions also. Can only really wash it with the help of my husband and it gets greasy after more than about 6 days. I covered my pillow and self with towels, put a very dilute and warm solution of a little baby shampoo in a plant diffuser spray, then sprayed my hair with this and just left it to air dry. It seems to have worked and put the 'fluff' back! I also bought one of these which I would recommend:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Women-Wid...hash=item1c64129319:m:mYCcJZGIa7TX_j8Jv0D6maA

ladycatlover

Bad news - typical! Just when I recommend Wall they are closing. :cry: More or less everything is sold out. :( Sorry folks, I'm gutted as was looking forward to getting more of those long dresses. Ah well, that's life. :cry:

ladycatlover

Oh no! If you don't mind second hand, they seem to pop up on ebay...

My guess is a LOT will pop up on ebay at double (or more) the amount they were up for in the closing down sale in a few days time.

I'm going to try find another source of the Pima cotton - it just washes so well, much better than any other cotton jersey stuff I've bought (admittedly not a lot other than T shirts).

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I don't dye my hair. When I briefly did, many years ago, I felt seriously unwell within a few hours, including shaking, sweats, churning stomach. Happened every time other than the first occasion when I was hyper cautious about not getting dye on the scalp. It was permanent dye. Don't know if I would have had that reaction if I didn't also have ME since I never dyed my hair before falling ill.