• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

IreneF

@Chocolove sorry if I wasn't clear Little Ondine is 'non toxic' nail varnish: natural resin, organic colourants and water.
Having a quick look Miss Nella seems cheaper but it's branded at little girls.

In terms of hair products I've made hairspray using sugar water and vodka. I've not used it much (not having the spoons to put effort into hairstyle often) but it does have some staying power. It amuses me a little because I usually avoid refined sugar in food, but it does need to be white refined sugar, and I also don't drink vodka!
Oh no. We've been invaded by ants (so has the entire neighborhood). I can't imagine putting sugar in my hair.

Large Donner

I use this George Clooney custom mask when I go out in public as a practical way to look good.

clooneymask.jpg

IreneF

I'm kitted out in 100% wool this winter, vest, top, skirt and tights and fleece and they are the most cosy clothes l have ever owned. I don't feel the cold at all in them and am able to leave the heating off a lot of the time. Bras are just cheap sports cotton ones.
I love wool tights. I have problems wearing wool next to my skin, but so far so good with the tights.

hellytheelephant

erin

I love harem pants helly. I owned two black harem pants; one is very thin for the summer the other one is from a thicker garment I wear them most of the time. They are smart, comfy and if you are pear-shaped like me they are very flattering.

erin

It hides the lumpy bits, emphasizes the waist. Well I get bloated at times, then maybe wear a flared dress. But they're good when I'm not too bloaty.

hellytheelephant

Update on the trousers debate: Firstly I have taken a long hard look at my wardrobe needs at the minute...and made a capsule wardrobe out of the stuff in my wardrobe. It's all in a suitcase at the moment, and everything goes with everything else. If I say it myself, it is genius! It's all in one place and I can just grab what I need each day, or return to the case.

Part 2: I am going to buy some harem pants for summer, but in the meantime have found a good working solution to looking as if I have not just woken up. I have got a couple of loose and not pretty tracky bottoms, and I have found chucking a long loose skirt over the top is brilliant. I actually look like a woman again!

Gingergrrl

I'm not sure if I have posted in this thread before but I was not able to color (dye) my hair for over two years b/c of MCAS. Since my MCAS went into remission with IVIG, I had the woman come to my apt last month who normally just cuts my hair. I explained to her that my MCAS doctor was extremely confident (close to 100%) that I would not react to the dye on my scalp or to the smell of the dye.

She was hesitant but she did it and I had zero reaction to the dye or smell! I used a natural dye from Whole Foods called "NaturTint" and it was absolutely amazing and now I can color my hair 3-4x a year which is all I need to do! My arm muscles are also strong enough now that I can use a flat iron again (while seated of course) and this is the best my hair has looked in 2+ years! I know these things are silly in the grand scheme of life but wanted to share since sometimes these little successes can make us feel better!

Old Bones

. . . and this is the best my hair has looked in 2+ years! I know these things are silly in the grand scheme of life but wanted to share since sometimes these little successes can make us feel better!

Definitely not silly @Gingergrrl , and I am so glad to hear your MCAS has gone into remission with IVIG.

In the context of pride in one's appearance helping to cope with the emotional impact of being unwell, it's hard not to compare the experience of people with invisible illnesses to those with cancer. The "look good feel better" campaign, which helps women manage the appearance side effects of cancer treatment, is well respected. In contrast, women with ME are often judged because we don't look sick enough -- proof that our illness isn't real. Talk about a double standard.

I love this saying:

look sick.JPG
:

hellytheelephant

That's really good news @Gingergrrl ....and not at all silly. This thread makes me feel better about life. It is taking me years ( and I do mean years) to learn how to live with all that is going on. On a grey and rainy day when I am facing the day of feeling lousy and husband also ill, this is a little 'time with the girls' to talk about the stuff that helps us feel like 'ourselves'.

Hope we continue to share many more tips and experiences!

Gingergrrl

That's really good news @Gingergrrl ....and not at all silly.

Glad that you're feeling better @Gingergrrl, it is not at all silly to be able to look good and having nice hair.

Thanks to all of you for saying that! It realy felt so trivial and silly but I am so thrilled after not being able to color my hair for over two years due to MCAS to no longer be allergic to hair dye!

Jennifer J

Thanks to all of you for saying that! It realy felt so trivial and silly but I am so thrilled after not being able to color my hair for over two years due to MCAS to no longer be allergic to hair dye!

I'm thrilled for you, Ginger. It's not silly at all. It's been almost 2 years for me since I had an allergic reaction and haven't been able to see if anything else might work for me. This is the longest I've gone without color. I completely understand how great that would feel. I'll be on cloud nine and happily singing for a long time the day I'll be able to color mine again and be alright afterwards. Enjoy your hair color! :)

hellytheelephant

I would like to share this article about the stunning clothes of the disabled artist Friday Kahlo
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...sts-clothing-that-will-make-you-love-her.html

She was in terrible pain her whole life, and had other health problems too, and aside from being an amazing chronicler of her pain in her art, she also used how she dressed as a kind of art. I find her so inspiring- check out her little pink boots- one for the prosthetic and one for her foot.

The important thing is how what we wear, how we do our hair etc, makes US feel- how it makes other people feel is secondary.

Anyone else finding themselves wanting to wear brighter colours?