1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Power to the patients! Vote Dec 3-12 for a new Biobank for the Vancouver Clinic

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 1, 2012.

1. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Done.
    Sasha likes this.
  2. Anne

Anne

I agree, Aileen. Come on folks! And please make sure friends and family are voting too.

Detailed instructions can also be found in my post above.

Right now it seems we are getting a little closer to top 10 - so we just need to keep voting and encouraging others in all the ways we can.
  3. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

It's probably too late but is there any chance of having the charity entered also under the "at-risk" youth category? It seems like if you're in that category you get extra chances to win money.

The reason why I think the charity could qualified is because Aviva defines 'at risk' as

"This year, Aviva is awarding up to $150,000 to ideas that support our Street-to-School initiative, which aims to help vulnerable young people who are at risk of being exposed to violence, sexual abuse, drug addiction, prostitution, health issues, a lack of education or fewer career options."

(http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/about/at-risk-youth)

Certainly young people with ME/CFS have health issues and because of that they are at risk for "lack of education" (miss out on school, can't do all activities, etc.) and, down the line, "fewer career options." A UK study by the Tymes trust showed that ME/CFS is the #1 cause of long-term school absence from health issues in the K-12 group. And there are economic studies estimating that kids who have chronic illnesses feel the impact on their careers/ education for the rest of their lives even after they get better due to prime years lost. There's an economic paper on ME/CFS commenting on this too. Anyhow, if we can't do it this time, consider for next time.
  4. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Currently in 12th place, just 39 votes out of 11th. Let's get there in the next couple hours!
  5. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Voted.

GG
  6. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Done. 3263
  7. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Bad news folks. We received 105 fewer votes Day 3 (just ended) than Day 2. :cry:
    What is it going to take to get people to vote??
    Thank you to everyone who is.
    Details in the attached pdf

Attached Files:

Little Bluestem likes this.
  8. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Electrotherapy?:thumbdown:

GG
  9. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Negative ads?

Sasha, Aileen and ggingues like this.
  10. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Cute ad. It just gave me an idea. How about this? We could offer the services (non-voluntary basis) of one Dr. Weasel for your very own private therapy session if you don't vote! That should get the votes pouring in. :devil: Just might find a way to put the guy to good use after all. :lol:
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just voted.

We're 13th!

We just need to get into 10th place to have the same chance as everybody else of getting the $150k - Aviva chooses the winner from the top ten.
  12. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Just voted!
    uh....cant remember the number...I suppose that's why we need money for research!
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  13. Tuha

Tuha Senior Member

I chcecked the results of the best 20 organisations in our category. Just be carefull because sometimes it doesnt show the good numbers. I chcecked it in the time when americans start to wake up slowly (around 6 a.m.) so it means that during the day we will a bit lose our position because we have a lot of european and australian voters. here are the results:

1. Riehl skate park - 5678
    2. Undercurrent Youth Centre - 5536
    3. Une vraie cour d'école pour ados! - 5463
    4. Fighting for Healthy, Affordable Food in North End Halifax - 5120
    5. Exoskeleton for Trevor Greene, Canadian Veteran – 4779

6. Nouveau gymnase pour notre club de gymnastique Les Hirondelles – 4482
    7. Stay Strong Nick Roma 4462
    8. Harder-4-Carter: The Carter Antila Memorial SkatePark - 4210
    9. Non-profit Companion Animal Hospital & Shelter – 3876
    10. Castle Park's "Play for ALL", universally accessible playground – 3767

11. Un préau pour L'École des Enfants-de-la-Terre - 3557
    12. Medical equipment for a new chronic diseases clinic in Vancouver – 3520
    13. Projet Paradis / Paradis Project – 3492
    14. The Power of Play - A Barrier Free Playground – 3329
    15. Sensory Therapy Room for kids at Lutherwood - 3025

16. Building Change -A New Shelter for the RCSPCA - 2951
    17. Vera M. Welsh & community of Lac La Biche needs a new playground - 2937
    18. Sports for all 2902
    19. Valley Park Go Green Cricket Field Project - Let There Be Lights - 2883
    20. Volunteering to Independence Program "the Katimavik VIP program" - 2718

I would do a small analyse. Our results are not pesimistic but also not optimistic. We are only 250 votes behind the 10 th place but also other organisations are not far away from us. if you look at other organisations there are a lot of kids organisations and how we could already see it - the kids are able to bring thousands of votes in the last day. so we should try to catch at least 7-8 position and the gap is already around 900 votes. it´s not a lot but we have to do something now to change it because every day it will be more difficult. We already did a lot of commercial and we can continue but it doesnt bring us significant number of new voters. i think we have 2 possibilities. 1. to try to contact a big ME, fibromyalgia, Lyme,...organisation from our kind of diseas and ask them to make a big call to their members. If we post a promotion on a page it brings only few votes - it has to be someone from that community. 2. to try to find some kids organisations from our area and ask them to vote for us.
    I think without this we will not be sucessfull. So any suggestions are welcome.
  14. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

I wonder if the problem is people think they only need to vote ONCE. The reason I say this is that we have 3,258 supporters but we only have 4,163 votes. If each supporter voted more than once, shouldn't we have somewhere around 6,400 instead? It's possible some people only started voting yesterday but this would be balanced somewhat by people like me who've voted everyday.
  15. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Has anyone experienced problems with registering on the Aviva website? Three people said that they tried to register but the confirmation email with the link to finalise registration has not arrived.
  16. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    have you checked your spam folder? or trash?
  17. Ember

Ember Senior Member

A friend of mine complained of the same problem. When she tried to register again, she was informed that she was already registered.
  18. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    that's not good. thanks for letting us know.
  19. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    How about each of us who is voting asking a couple of other people to vote. If just half of them actually did, our votes would double. There are instructions for voting that can be cut and pasted.
  20. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Onder the tab. "About the competition" the FAQ, for those who have trouble registering, there is a contact page, so the problem could be corrected for them. (On the Aviva page)

It's happened to one of my friend.

See more popular forum discussions.