• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Power lines and CFS. Are they a problem

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I may have the opportunity to rent a nice little apartment which could be perfect except there are high power lines right out the front door.

I've heard a lot about problems with them but I'm not sure how big a problem it is vs my getting a nice apartment. I have lived by them before, but not quite this close.

I'm just wondering what others think?

Please keep responses simple and with lots of paragraphs. Thanks.

I don't think so.

There may not be any problems for health, and if there are some then they are small. Apparently they use lower power-frequencies for power-lines in residential areas, so lines over an apartment shouldn't be a problem.

If the apartment is otherwise perfect, I would go for it and enjoy it - you might be able to get a good deal if other renters are more worried about the power-lines than they need be! There will always be slight environmental health concerns, but power-lines in a residential area look safe to me, and much less likely than pollution from the road outside to cause problems.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Yah I just don't know. As for others being concerned about it? Doubt it, in here anyway. All they care about is location and low rent.

Just the thought of moving has me clobbered and stressed out, but add to that moving out of my comfort zone? Forget it.

Thanks

LaurelW

I would never move that close to a power line. I've read too much about elementary schools with increased leukemia rates and that sort of thing, and people with CFS are already in a weakened state. You can get a EMF meter online for fairly cheap and go around measuring things yourself. I have a friend who lived very close to a power substation so I went and measured around her house. It was over the recommended long-term exposure level, so she moved to a different location. There is a lot of information out there so I would try to read up on it before making a big decision like that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I know LaurelW. It scares me which is why I'm looking into it and getting opinions. I have to weigh the options of living somewhere not close to anyone or anything I know or dealing with the EMF. I mean between my TV, microwave, I live right next to an airport, not sure how much more that would be really to make much of a difference. I don't have to make a decision for a few months.

LaurelW

I just checked out prices, and it looks like the Trifield meter like I have is now up to at least $130. I bought it years ago when it was a lot cheaper. Maybe if you ask around you can find somebody who has one and borrow it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
See if you can get a hold of a meter and measure. I turned down a nice apt because of that. I've seen it demonstrated that even an electric plug in your home or even more so, the box where the power enters your home, gives off enough EMF to effect muscle strength. I keep a diode in my pocket and stick them on my computer etc.

Controversial! :angel: You'll get all sorts of opinions, but if you could actually measure it, you'd know more.

Best wishes,
Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks for looking. Too much money right now. I have no idea who to ask about this. I don't know that many enlightened people. Wait, I don't know that many people period.

richvank

Hi, minkeygirl.

You might also consider getting a "Microsurge" meter from Stetzer Electric http://www.stetzerelectric.com/meter/ It is listed on the webpage for $125. This meter was designed by Professor Martin Graham, who is a retired electrical engineering professor from the University of California, Berkeley. It is designed to measure the higher frequency radiation that comes from power lines, including power lines within homes. The power lines carry higher frequency currents that are induced into them, in addition to the 60 Hz (or 50 Hz in some countries) A.C. power frequency. Some people who have ME/CFS are sensitive to this electromagnetic radiation. Of those, some realize it, and some do not. Doing an actual measurement will tell you what the levels really are.

Best regards,

Rich

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Hi Rich, thanks but I don't have $125 and I have no clue what you are talking about re: higher frequency. Bottom line is I just may not be able to avoid everything I need to unless I go live on another planet.

richvank

Hi Rich, thanks but I don't have $125 and I have no clue what you are talking about re: higher frequency. Bottom line is I just may not be able to avoid everything I need to unless I go live on another planet.

Hi, minkeygirl.

Sorry about that. Interplanetary travel could cost more than $125! :D Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I could explain some more, but I don't know if you want me to do that. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't think it will be possible to answer your question about the power line causing a potential problem for you unless someone does a measurement. The instrument I described was designed to do just this kind of measurement. I realize that cost is a problem.

Best regards,

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Hi Rich, I actually now get what you are trying to explain. The problem becomes my ability to avoid things. I just don't have that many options so if I can minimize the "damage" I would but .... Hmmm. Ok well my computer is zapping me now so. J/K.

Actually I"ve been saying for years (pre-CFS) that I wanted to live on another planet to avoid noisy and obnoxious neighbors. Could work!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Valentijn, well since they just had the last shuttle mission we can't hitchhike on that but I'm with you on the gas. Now we just gotta find a destination. Some place with no kids.

LaurelW

Maybe we can install a biofilter to strain out whatever pathogens are causing our illness?

jen1177

Hi, Minkeygirl,
I would definitely NOT move into that apt near the powerlines. I've lived in my apt now for over 4 years and there are two other apt. buildings (duplexes and fourplexes) that are right near powerlines and the people who live there are always having drama and problems in their lives. I'm talking major fights and alcohol/drug problems and child neglect and pet neglect and things like that. I live on a cul-de-sac and it's only the two buildings that are right up against the powerlines behind them that have these problems no matter how many tenants move out and are replaced by new ones...they ALL end up in jail or evicted or addicted to whatever. It's bizarre and the only common factors with these two buildings is the proximity to the powerlines and the direction the buldings face (south).
I also lived for 9 months in another neighborhood right near a bunch of transformers or something (about an acre of metal electric power things like a substation or something) and the whole neighborhood was nice except for immediately around the substation where there were loud domestic disputes, run-down houses and yards and I suspect a drug den/meth lab. The area just felt depressed and I was severely depressed the entire time I lived there. My depression definitely improved when I moved out of there.
So, until we can be beamed up and out of here or step into a stargate or evolve to a point where we can ascend and have no need for a body (here's to hoping)...I highly recommend NOT living near powerlines or substations.
Live long and prosper. *doing Vulcan salute*
:)