1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Powdered oxymatrine (in capsules) more potent than tablets

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Powdered Oxymatrine (in Capsules) Much More Potent Than Oxymatrine in a Tablet

Powdered oxymatrine seems to be considerably more potent than oxymatrine tablets, according to an account I received from one user.

I believe this is because powdered oxymatrine is better absorbed in the gut than a solid tablet of oxymatrine.

The oral bioavailability of oxymatrine is very low anyway (ref: here), so it is important to try to maximize the absorption of oxymatrine as much as possible.

The "Dizziness Test" Demonstrates That Powered Oxymatrine is Better Absorbed than Oxymatrine Tablets

You can test yourself that powered oxymatrine is better absorbed than oxymatrine tablets, using the "dizziness test".

If you crush your regular oxymatrine tablet into a fine powder, and then swallow this power with some water (it tastes yuk!), or preferably put the powder into an empty capsule and swallow that (so that you don't have to taste the oxymatrine), you will likely find that you get mild dizziness symptoms within an hour. You'll probably find this mild dizziness does not appear when you take oxymatrine as a tablet, but this dizziness will appear when you take same amount of oxymatrine as a fine powder.

This demonstrates that powdered oxymatrine is much better absorbed than oxymatrine tablets, because dizziness is a known side effect of higher doses of oxymatrine.

Dr Chia's Studies on Oxymatrine for ME/CFS

Dr John Chia reported he obtained good results with oxymatrine tablets in about 25% of the ME/CFS patients that took them (with another 25% of his patients getting some mild improvements, and the remaining 50% getting no improvements with oxymatrine).

Could it be that the patients who did not respond to oxymatrine simply had problems with absorbing oxymatrine in the gut? If these non-responders tried powdered oxymatrine in capsules instead of oxymatrine tablets, then they might also obtain benefits from oxymatrine.

Since ME/CFS patients often have weak digestion, this may make absorption of solid oxymatrine tablets even harder, but powdered oxymatrine in capsules may be easier to digest. So if you have tried oxymatrine tablets and obtained little effect from them, consider trying powdered oxymatrine in capsules.

It may also be an idea to take stomach acid boosting supplements (like betaine HCl) at the same time as taking oxymatrine, as many ME/CFS patients have low stomach acid levels, and this can result in inefficient absorption of supplements and nutrients.

Note that people who have strong reactions to oxymatrine should be careful when trying powdered oxymatrine, as you will be absorbing a higher dose.

Incidentally, if the mild dizziness symptoms of powdered oxymatrine are a concern, just take the oxymatrine before bed, and you won't notice the mild dizziness as you fall asleep. The herb ginger is also good at eliminating dizziness, and 5 to 10 drops of lemon (Citrus limonum) essential oil (diluted in 15 ml of cooking oil) is a very powerful blocker of dizziness and nausea symptoms (lemon essential oil is a potent 5-HT3 antagonist, and this is how it eliminates nausea).

Some Sources of Oxymatrine

White Tiger brand oxymatrine tablets, containing 200 mg oxymatrine per tablet, can be found here: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Equilibrant (Dr Chia's brand) oxymatrine tablets are available here.

Oxymatrine capsules containing 300 mg of oxymatrine powder per capsule are available here: 1, 2.

Note that Dr Chia says oxymatrine is not recommended for people with autoimmune tendencies or seizure disorders.

A video of a presentation given by Dr John Chia detailing his work with oxymatrine for ME/CFS can be found HERE (see at timecode 31:25).

Thanks go to wjrf for bringing this info about powdered oxymatrine to my attention.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    heapsreal likes this.
  2. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Is there a way to know if we have autoimmune tendencies? Don't some consider CFS to possibly be autoimmune? Is this an immune modulator, or booster? So many questions I have, sorry!
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

"Autoimmune tendency means a strong family history of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, autoimmune thyroiditis (especially Graves disease), multiple sclerosis, and if the patients have joint pain with positive rheumatoid factor and persistently positive ANA." Ref: here.

Nobody really knows for sure how oxymatrine works, but it is most likely a Th2 > Th1 immunomodulator.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Just found a study (see below) showing that the oral bioavailability of oxymatrine in dogs is quite low, around 19%.

I do wonder whether the non-responders to oxymatrine might just be individuals who don't absorb enough oxymatrine from their guts. Injectable forms of oxymatrine are on sale in China, such as on this website here. Might non-responders to oral oxymatrine (I am one of them) do better on injectable oxymatrine?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    JBB likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.